Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diminiko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
London
I have had rev A MBA for 3+ years. Today I plugged in a externally powered blu-ray burner and had a warning along the line of "USB device trying to draw too much power and will be shut down".

Since then, no USB devices will work off the USB port.

I have tried:

1) Reset PRAM & VRAM
2) Reset SMC
3) Diagnostic tool test- won't boot into diagnostic test when holding D at boot and obviously can't boot of superdrive! I don't have another computer handy to do remote disk access for this.
4) Booting into safe-mode made no difference

I am out of extended warranty so can't call Apple for help.

Any suggestions welcome before I bite the bullet and take it to the genius bar!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I had this same problem with an external BR on my 2009 iMac. It also throws the same error with my brand new MBA. Maybe there are some drives that are totally incompatible? It was an external LG drive in an optical enclosure.

I grabbed one of the small laptop-sized USB-powered ones though and it works like a charm.

diminiko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
London
I had this same problem with an external BR on my 2009 iMac. It also throws the same error with my brand new MBA. Maybe there are some drives that are totally incompatible? It was an external LG drive in an optical enclosure.

I grabbed one of the small laptop-sized USB-powered ones though and it works like a charm.

Thanks, but my problem now is that the USB port has stopped working altogether. Not even a thumbdrive will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.