Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Ok, I'm a little confused on whether the Rev B has fixed the cooling issues or not. I've seen the disassemble thread which says there is some improvement and I've seen some video threads where they say no stuttering but its still at 6200.

So is the cooling fixed or not?

Precisely, when is it loud and when is it not?

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
First time macbook air owner, and I have a week 43 1.86 GHZ model with the SSD.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fix" If by fixed you mean no core shut downs or sluggish performance when it is hot, then I would say it has been fixed.

Basically you hear the fans at 6200 rpm, but I wouldn't call them loud like an airplane taking off.

They usually come when temps hit 77 degrees, and that happens when playing a HD video.

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
My fans have been at 6200rpm several times. Yesterday while rendering a bit of video while I sat in a coffee shop, I was surprised to see them at 6200 because with just the low ambient noise of a nearly empty shop I couldn't hear them at all. Even in a quiet room they are not intrusive at full throttle. And picking up my MBP, they surely aren't as bothersome during normal operation as the constant HDD accessing noises a normal laptop makes. At 2500 rpm, I have to put my ear to the exhaust vents to hear the fan run, where I can clearly hear my dual fans at 2000 rpm on my MBP from 3 feet away. Also, when they are running full blast my CPU temp is running 78 to 81c, but that is the only elevated temperature and the computer is not hot. I've enclosed my MBA in a Macally leather skin which while vented in the proper locations will reduce radiant cooling. Of course no one can see my glowing Apple logo in public, but that's ok.:rolleyes:

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I have both a first and second generation Macbook Air, and it does indeed run cooler. But at times the fan will kick on and run up to 6200 rpm. Usually when watching HD content or streaming video online (Youtube, ABC, NBC). But the difference is the temps never climb as high as the first generation. The video never becomes unwatchable, with stuttering play back. I've watched several hours of HD video over the last two weeks with no problem. Streamed many hour of video online and again no problems. The fan is so quite it's hard to hear. If not for iStat you would probably never notice it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.