Sounds like a new target date for me then - 150 (ish) days and countingI would expect Penryn and a new video card (HD2650?), especially given the troubles the current ones are having and maybe a higher end card for the 24" as a BTO (8800m?). Maybe even an extra G of RAM. No speed improvements. Probably March(ish).
Wouldn't Penryn imply a speed boost, even if the clock is the same?I would expect Penryn and a new video card (HD2650?), especially given the troubles the current ones are having and maybe a higher end card for the 24" as a BTO (8800m?). Maybe even an extra G of RAM. No speed improvements. Probably March(ish).
If I could get a 20" with a top of the range CPU/GPU I'd probably spring for it. As it stands, I'm eyeing up the 24". I've seen the older, white 24's in stores, and they are indeed huge. However, people thought I was nuts for getting a 17" powerbook, and that has become standard for me these days (ie: I would never think of getting a screen below 17" on anything).hopefully they'll give the 20" a higher quality screen.. i'd like a new imac, but the 20" has poor quality screens, and the 24" is practically too big for my needs
The chip data you quoted is a desktop processor. The iMac has used a mobile processor since the switch to Intel. Mobile Penryn chips won't be out until the first of the year which is too early for an iMac update IMO. I was thinking March but recently changed my mind after reading the Montevina chipset will be released in May. Although it's possible to see updates before Montevina, I'd expect Apple to wait until May to get the faster bus and built-in HD decoding. We'll see though."The newest Intel Core 2 Extreme processor that boasts this new core [Penryn] is going to be the Core 2 Extreme QX9650. This chip has a clock speed of 3.0GHz and a FSB of 1333MHz. This new processor features the new SSE4 instructions, though there are currently no programs that utilize this instruction at this time. The SSE4 can greatly speed up tasks such as some key operations in video encoding in applications that use SSE4. The expected release date for the new processor cores is expected to be November 12, 2007."
Given this, and also assuming that Apple now gets first dibs on Intel goodies, might one assume that Rev B can be expected sooner than usual?
I'm pretty sure that's a mobile Core 2 Extreme...
Sorry, my mistake. I thought the Core 2 Extreme was a desktop processor.I'm pretty sure that's a mobile Core 2 Extreme...
I am not sure what's going on with the bus because Santa Rosa doesn't have a memory controller that can handle memory as fast as the bus. Even if you have a 1333 mHz bus, will memory be limited to the same 667 mHz kit we've got now?I really want to hold out for Montevina, though. The bus is almost 40% faster.
The obvious upgrades are Penryn and Montevina. A new GPU should be obvious with all the issues Apple's having with the ATI cards, but we'll see. What's less obvious but I think no less important are the other changes.I would expect updated graphics cards and Montevina. It has already been more or less confirmed that Montevina is going to be replacing Santa Rosa in the iMac and Macbook Pro during quarter two '08, the only question is the exact timing
If you like OSX, but you also want to do some gaming, then no, the current iMacs are not "way faster than you'll need for anything." The powerbook I have now is more than fine for everything *except* graphics intensive work. The current processors AND the current graphics card are almost there, but not quite. Montevina will have a 40% faster bus speed and double the cores.The new iMacs are just that, "new". They're way faster than you'll need for anything just now and can be loaded up with 4Gb RAM too. If you want one, why not buy one now? Are speed bumps worth waiting 150 days for? By then, you're probably only another 200 days away from the next speed update.
If you want a new iMac, just buy one. Otherwise you'll never buy any computer if you're always waiting for the next incarnation of something.