Rev B iMac G5 turning itself off...again

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MrSmith, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

A while back there was a problem with these machine randomly turning off (thread started by me here). I was wondering if anyone else with this machine was having a recurrence? Or a first time, for that matter. The screen goes blank and I have to press the button on the back many times before it eventually boots up. No Apple care. It's over 3 years old anyway.

2. aki macrumors 6502a

i had this kind of problem with my g5 revb imac....it was power supply problem.....u can actually check some things about what is wrong power supply or logic board or what thing if u take off the imac's back and look at some green lights....there are info about the lights on some webpage um somewhere hahahha :eek:.......anyway for g5 revb bad power supply is a basic problem and apple does teh replace for free yay!!!so i got it fixed in 2 days yay apple

now though i have intel imac :D

3. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Yeah, you can see in the original thread that it happened before. I got it sorted for free through the repair programme. I wonder why it's happening again, though. Could it be the power supply is at fault again? Or it could be unconnected...

4. aki macrumors 6502a

it could be power supply again....sad but could be......does the green light thing make sense to you?? try that um there is a link maybe....yes here

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86815

if u didnt try this already try it and maybe it can give u an idea

5. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Thanks, aki, I'll try that - but I'll obviously have to wait now until it happens again.