Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I checked the Rev B at Willow Bend store in Plano, Texas and it was:
Mfr: 610
Model 9C89

I was really surprised since I checked the MB and it had the same Mfr and model!

To me the MB has a generally worse screen from a viewing angle. However the screen on Rev B was clearly not as good as the Rev A next to it. It did display the lines when going to Google web page.

Oh way cant we get a Rev B but with the screen from Rev A???
That would have been the ideal computer!

What manufacturer and model do you have in Rev B?

Thanks

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Go to Preferences > Display > Color > (use default "Color LCD" profile) > Open Profile > #13

I've got:

Manufacturer: 00000610
Model: 00009C9A

alphaxono

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
Go to Preferences > Display > Color > (use default "Color LCD" profile) > Open Profile > #13

Now this is a great find.

Could you guys please check your profile and let us know the following:

1.) If you have the line or flicker problem
2.) Manufacturer
3.) Model
4.) Manufacture Date

maybe we can isolate the issue and help find the problem.

Thank you ALL!!!! :D

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
1.) If you have the line or flicker problem: NO
2.) Manufacturer:610
3.) Model:9C9A
4.) Manufacture Date: Week 44

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
1.) If you have the line or flicker problem: Slight lining (very slight, more like paper grain)
4.) Manufacture Date: Week 46

I want to also add :

5.) Regional keyboard : Swedish
6.) Other issues (Hotter than average)
7.) 4 finger swipe : No

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
just tested a MBA at Micro center with screen 9C9A and I cojld not see any lines. it was immensely better than the first I saw in Apple store. despite being in a glass cagve it was also a lot cooler than any other mac in the store running the demo.
that one convinced to get one. now only question is HD or SSD/!

T

The Toddfather

just tested a MBA at Micro center with screen 9C9A and I cojld not see any lines. it was immensely better than the first I saw in Apple store. despite being in a glass cagve it was also a lot cooler than any other mac in the store running the demo.
that one convinced to get one. now only question is HD or SSD/!

My SSD seems much faster than my rev1, I highly recommend it.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008

I've got:

Manufacturer: 00000610
Model: 00009C9A

Same for me and I have a perfect - no lines screen.

MFG DATE IS : C2486D00 --- does this mean mine is a week 48 lcd?

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Anybody success with Apple Care fixing the screen?

Has anybody sent their MBP in after realizing that the screen is bad? Seems the natural thing to do to me. If somebody has done this, I wonder if they had success? If they did, what is the model of the new screen Apple Care has put in?

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
look at your serial number, thats how you tell.

The thing is that the MBA serial number might indicate when the MBA was assembled - but it won't tell you when the LCD was created. LCD's have to be created in a different building than the MBA assembly line - so - maybe the LCD MFG DATE is more relevant than when the MBA was put together.

So my LCD MFG DATE is C2486D00

Does anyone who has lines on their have the same? (i don't have lines)

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Has anybody sent their MBP in after realizing that the screen is bad? Seems the natural thing to do to me. If somebody has done this, I wonder if they had success? If they did, what is the model of the new screen Apple Care has put in?

In the 'other' thread - I think i read a few posts where people sent their MBA in to Apple cuz the R&D team wanted to see the screen to diagnose the issue - but I don't remember them getting anything back yet....

davnee

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
Has anybody sent their MBP in after realizing that the screen is bad? Seems the natural thing to do to me. If somebody has done this, I wonder if they had success?

Mine came back from Apple's repair shop in Memphis on Friday still with plainly visible lines, though not as starkly apparent as original screen. Either lines are part of the "spec" on these displays or there is something more wrong with a widespread number of these airs than just the displays. Either way, I'm giving up. Not wasting another moment of my time playing display roulette and I'm just going to live with the heaviness of a macbook. I've lost a tremendous amount of respect for Apple. Clearly their quality control is not currently up to par.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
1.) If you have the line or flicker problem: YES (and lines)
4.) Manufacture Date: C2486D00

Ok - so here is someone with the EXACT same LCD specs as me. I DO NOT have any lines or flicker issues - and this person DOES.

This can explain why people take their MBA back to get a new LCD - and it comes back with the same issue, because it is not a LCD manufacturing issue - but something else inside the body of the MBA.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Ok - so here is someone with the EXACT same LCD specs as me. I DO NOT have any lines or flicker issues - and this person DOES.

This can explain why people take their MBA back to get a new LCD - and it comes back with the same issue, because it is not a LCD manufacturing issue - but something else inside the body of the MBA.

Could it be (I'm not assuming, just asking) that some people just don't see it?

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I thought that it was a software issue, same as the lack of 4-finger gestures in overseas notebooks (OS revision)?

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Could it be (I'm not assuming, just asking) that some people just don't see it?

It's possible - but (using me as example who has a great screen) I have seen the screen shots people have posted and I can see the lines in the photos - and then I see threads where people ay no, you have to tilt your monitor 45 degrees, or from the side etc etc.... and after a while it is silly. I (for example) cannot see any lines - and I have 20/20 vision ;). I use my monitor straight on from about 2 or 3 feet.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
I loked for them some don't have them Period!

Where did you see one with lines?

It's possible - but (using me as example who has a great screen) I have seen the screen shots people have posted and I can see the lines in the photos - and then I see threads where people ay no, you have to tilt your monitor 45 degrees, or from the side etc etc.... and after a while it is silly. I (for example) cannot see any lines - and I have 20/20 vision ;). I use my monitor straight on from about 2 or 3 feet.

Is there a single picture of a MBA with the lines? NO, there is not.
As so far there is no method how to take the picture and get to see it on the camere (maybe with an analogue camera). But I tried 3 different digital cameras, from every angle, different options (macro, flash... even black and white, changed screen backlight, color etc.) and the lines you can see on the picture is due to something else (as you see those on every notebook screen, which you take a picture of). Might be an interference, due to camere digital technic and notebook screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.