rev c macbook Q4 2009

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FRESHmanTREV, Mar 1, 2009.

1. FRESHmanTREV macrumors newbie

I'm currently a pc user and plan on switching to mac. I'm wondering if they will have the 10 hour battery in the macbook, like they have in the 17inch macbook pro by Q4 2009?
    what do you think??

2. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

First, it will be the Rev. B, as the MBP 17'' isn't a Rev. B.

Second, it isn't 10 hours battery, it's 8 hours on the 9400m and 7 hours on the 9600m GT.

Thirdly, We know NOTHING. Most likely they will, just to piss us all.

3. iMacmatician macrumors 601

We can look at past history for a possible answer.

Several new technologies have first come to the MacBook Pro (PowerBook) before the MacBook (iBook). These include Magsafe (2006), Lithium-polymer battery (2006), and 2-finger trackpad (2005). In all of these cases (IIRC), the MacBook/iBook got it in the next revision.

Now the larger multi-touch trackpad. It was first introduced in the MacBook Air (2008). The MacBook Pro got it in the February 2008 update, although the trackpad's size remained unchanged. The MacBook also got updated in February 2008, although it did not get the multi-touch trackpad. In October, all three notebooks were updated, and the MacBook and MacBook Pro got a new glass multi-touch trackpad along with a case redesign, while the MacBook Air remained the same. So in that case the multi-touch trackpad took longer than usual to migrate to the entire notebook line.

So to answer your question, I would think it's fairly probable, although it may take a while. If Apple indeed wants to add the new battery technology to the entire notebook line, then I would think that it would happen at or before the Rev. C MacBook (which is likely to happen late 2009 or early 2010 depending on Arrandale release).

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Don't hold your breath. Unless battery technology changes in a big way between October (when Rev. C should be released), the MacBook won't get a 10 hour battery. They might get a longer-life, built in battery, but the MacBook is significantly smaller than the 17" MBP. One of the biggest contributing factors to the Pro's battery life is the simple size of its battery: bigger battery = longer life.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. The 17" has the same internal stuff as the 15" (except possibly bigger speakers), so there's obviously more space for things like a new battery.