Rev D Macbook: any chance of the case cracking?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ashjamben, Jan 5, 2008.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

ok, so over the last few months of being on macrumours (yes, i'm english and proud of our correct spelling :)) i've noticed a bucket load of people with horror stories about their macbook casing cracking, especially on the edges of the palmrest.

i was just wondering, was this a problem isolated to older generations of macbooks, or is it something that could happen to mine (Rev D)? has anyone had any problems with cracking on a Rev D Macbook? in fact, writing this it has just occured to me that this may be a pointless question to ask as it's only been out a couple of months. but still a question none the less, so i'll click post :)

2. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

drop it from various heights. sooner or later you'll have a cracking problem.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd be interested in more information on this as well. From reading this thread, it seems to be mostly a Rev A issue. I'm pretty sure it could happen to any revision, but was most likely in the first release.

4. Kelly™ macrumors regular

/off topic
    I love Dell's accidental damage warranty for the following reason...
    /on topic
    I once dropped my Dell Inspiron 1720 6 flights of stairs until the very bottom just to get it replaced because I wanted to test the limits of this 'we cover accidents' rule.
    They did indeed replace it after I told them it slipped out of my hands. o.o

I wish Apple had protection like that.

Anyhow, if it does crack have an Apple store repair it, simple THAT is covered under manufacturing warranty.

5. one1 macrumors 65816

They have not redesigned the case so the issue will surface on all versions. The reason why you see it on REV A mostly is simply due to the amount of useage the lid has closed on the spot and created the problem.

On a side note, I am going to fork out $100 for a new top from ebay and when it gets here I am modifying the case with some very thin rubber strips around the top to more evenly disperse the pressure, but still be thin enough to allow the magnets to catch. You can even use a white double sided 3M tape to do this as they do make it with only one side with adhesive on it and the ohter side just a soft material - and still very thin.