Rev D PowerBook 100GB Hard Drive Noise ?

Bern

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I've been reading a lot about an apparent noise the 100GB HDD have (I think they are Seagate). I'm sure some of you have seen the growing thread in the Apple Forum? http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@545.2tY8aaN8Sfk.1121099@.68a61f5f

I recall a similar incidence with the G3 iBooks having HDD that make this sound and the huge note of concern when they were released.

Apparently it is an intermittent clicking or thunking sound much the same as a pencil being tapped on a desk (which is what the G3 iBook does in some models?). I'm sure it is just an aspect of this hard drive ???

I have a BTO PowerBook on order with such a HDD and was wondering if anyone who has a Rev D PowerBook with a 100GB drive has noticed this sound?

Bern

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
dferrara said:
What size PB? (just curious... maybe it's widespread in one BTO and not others)
It seems to be pretty much standard on all size PowerBooks with the 100GB HDD

Comment

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
I have used a 17" for a long period of time and it was not making a single sign of noise ;)

Comment

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Yeah, it's a known quirk of that particular Seagate drive, apparently

Comment

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Yes

Just got my new PB a week ago and it definitely has the noise. Doesn't seem to hurt anything though.

Comment

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I've got this noise on my 17" Powerbook, and just assumed that it was normal. I thought it was something to do with the "Sudden Motion Sensor" on the new drives.

Comment

Bern

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Thanks for your replies everyone :) and for some rationality which sometimes is lacking in the Apple forum :D

Comment

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
this is BS i think. you spend all this money on a nice laptop and it makes an annoying sound. i just ordered my 17" PB last night, i can't stop going back to Apple.com to check my order status for a single change hehe :p , but seriously i know as soon as i hear it it will piss me off. guess i'll just have to get used to it if i want such a fine computer hehe ;) (BUT that does remind me of arguments against pcs, mac people saying you SHOULDN'T HAVE to get used to using all the anti-virus/spyware utilities)

Comment

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
My 100GB HDD drive is silent... no noises I can hear anyway. I was expecting some strange noises from other posts i read before the Powerbook arrived, but have been pleasantly surprised.

Comment

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
The noise has NOTHING to do with the laptop, BTO or anything like that.

How can I guarantee that? Because the 100GB Seagate Drive I put in my Rev A (funny I selected the drive, then a week later Apple refreshes the line to use the same one I picked; glad they pay attention to what I'm doing) makes the exact same noise.

It is a property of the drive, and nothing else. If you don't want it, order your laptop with a different drive. Although I wouldn't suggest the Hitachi ones, as they seem to have an above average failure rate.

Comment

Bern

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
stcanard said:
The noise has NOTHING to do with the laptop, BTO or anything like that.

It is a property of the drive, and nothing else. If you don't want it, order your laptop with a different drive. Although I wouldn't suggest the Hitachi ones, as they seem to have an above average failure rate.
Don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't want it, but I was just browsing through the Apple Forum (where I have to admit there are a lot of panic merchants and know alls :eek: ) and had come across a large thread discussing this "noise".

It's been very helpful to read all of your comments, I guess I can relax now until my PowerBook arrives..... eventually..... sometime...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.