MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A few years ago, Apple announced that it would be revamping its Maps app with more detailed maps, better road coverage, and faster and more accurate navigation. The improvements have since rolled out in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Portugal, and Spain, and Apple is focusing on Italy next.

iPhone-iOS-15-Italy-Closeup-Feature.jpg

According to Apple Maps enthusiast Justin O'Beirne, Apple recently started testing its revamped Maps experience across the Italian Peninsula, including San Marino and Vatican City. The updated maps appear to be limited to devices with the iOS 15 developer or public betas installed for now, but at WWDC 2021 last month, Apple announced that its revamped Maps experience would be expanded to all users in Italy and Australia later this year.

In early 2020, Apple said it would begin rolling out the revamped Maps experience across Europe in the coming months, so other countries should soon follow. The updated maps provide more comprehensive views of roads, buildings, parks, airports, shopping malls, sports venues like baseball fields and tennis courts, and other details.

Article Link: Revamped Apple Maps Now Being Tested in Italy

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
When Apple announced that its revamped maps experience would be expanded to all users, didn’t they mean ”via iOS 15?” If so, what is the “but” supposed to mean in this post?

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Comment

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
When Apple announced that its revamped maps experience would be expanded to all users, didn’t they mean ”via iOS 15?” If so, what is the “but” supposed to mean in this post?
It seems to work with iOS 13 or later, since that’s when the new Look Around feature rolled out…but some features might need iOS 14 or 15….not 100% sure, to be honest.
And here’s where you’ll find the countries (about 30 at present) where Apple has already rolled out the revamped Maps or is planning to do so.

Comment

chomer

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Need to expand Look Around coverage too in order to make me ditch Google Maps completely. There's more to the UK than just London. Quietly hoping for full UK Look Around to be released with iOS 15.

Comment

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
The improvements have since rolled out in the s, Canada,

I have not yet disconvered anything that's different, and continued attempts to use Apple maps for me in the GTA has been hilarious due to really poor navigation directions.

There's literally ONE toll highway. I tell Apple maps to avoid tolls

the toll highway is always #1 recommended route.

Comment

EmotionalSnow

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
I don't remember them ever saying that these improvements are limited to iOS 15. I also doubt they would do that, considering that a few countries already have gotten these improvements.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
I don't remember them ever saying that these improvements are limited to iOS 15. I also doubt they would do that, considering that a few countries already have gotten these improvements.

I guess it depends on which improvements they are talking about - a ton of map improvements were announced as exclusive to iOS 15 at WWDC.

Comment

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
I have spotted the same in Rome a few weeks ago.
Good sign of Apple moving a little bit away from their “US-first and then will see” vision of services.

Next in line is Apple Card, then please allow other Countries to take benefit of Fitness+, even if it’s in English only.

Comment

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
I have not yet disconvered anything that's different, and continued attempts to use Apple maps for me in the GTA has been hilarious due to really poor navigation directions.

There's literally ONE toll highway. I tell Apple maps to avoid tolls

the toll highway is always #1 recommended route.
As I don't have a car I've never tested that feature, one qyestion us there a waybto prioretice what you wand . Som sort of if 2 choices conflict what tajes precedence ?

Comment

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
As I don't have a car I've never tested that feature, one qyestion us there a waybto prioretice what you wand . Som sort of if 2 choices conflict what tajes precedence ?

It conflicts me that I understand what you're asking in this jumbled mess :p

there's a toggle in Apple maps setting that says "Avoid Toll Routes"

I live and work right next to one. the only one in the city. I never want to use it. But despite flipping the toggle in Apple maps to avoid toll routes. It always pops up the apple maps notification telling me to take it. The default route still shows to take it.

My Guess is for some strange reason they've mis-labled this highway, or something. Even though it shows it as a Toll route in maps

Like yes, Apple, that highway IS the fastest highway and would save me 10 minutes of a 40 minute commute. But it would cost me $375 /mth to take the 7.5 km each way every day.

Comment

Bokka

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2018
I sincerely hope that with the new version of the italian maps they fix the name of the street where my parents live which is spelled wrong on Apple Maps (there is an extra "i" in the name). I had already reported this several times but it has never been corrected.

Comment

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
They should have clarified that they only people able to see the updated Maps in Italy right now are those on iOS 15 beta...that is the test group. I am in the USA and can see them as well as everyone else on iOS 15 that I've asked or has mentioned it including beta testers in other countries outside of Italy.

Previously, in much larger countries, Apple selected local users as test subjects who randomly received the Maps update to test.

Comment

biffuz

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2016
Spotted the Apple car near Monza twice, in 2019 and some weeks ago.
I am already on Street View :D

I also hope about the quality of the maps: a few years ago I fixed some errors in my area on OpenStreetMap, including typos, wrong street names and one ways, unexisting connections, stuff that can be easily checked. Guess what, some time later some errors were back...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.