Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Revamped Apple TV to Offer Netflix Streaming?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Bloomberg reports that Apple will be introducing a revamped Apple TV at tomorrow's media event, and that the new device will offer Netflix movie streaming. Netflix offers a subscription service allowing customers to receive DVDs and Blu-ray discs by mail while also accessing a library of streaming content through an increasing array of compatible devices such as TiVos, DVD players, and gaming consoles. Netflix currently offers free applications for other iOS devices to allow subscribers to access streaming content on the go.
Apple Inc., preparing to announce a new set-top box that delivers TV to consumers, will include movies from Netflix Inc., according to three people with knowledge of the plans.

The streaming service would be available on the revamped version of Apple TV, due to be introduced tomorrow in San Francisco, said two of the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans haven’t been made public. Users would pay a subscription fee to Netflix for the service, the people said.
According to the report, the revamped Apple TV will carry the $99 price tag that has been rumored for some time.

In addition to the Apple TV, Bloomberg's sources claim that Apple tomorrow will introduce updated iTunes functionality, as well as a new iPod touch with higher-resolution display, presumably matching the iPhone 4's Retina display.

Article Link: Revamped Apple TV to Offer Netflix Streaming?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Excellent news! I was getting worried we wouldnt see a new apple tv tomorrow.

This is likely just an app for it that will be demonstrated.

Comment

markfc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
I probably shouldn't telling be you this but for UK buyers it will also have the iPlayer app to watch BBC repeats...

Not out till dec in UK

Comment

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
This doesn't seem particularly surprising if it is an iOS device and can run either the iPad or iPhone's Netflix app.

I already have NetFlix integration in my TiVo and Samsung Blu Ray player but am on a limited plan that won't stream to these devices. The unlimited plan is calling my name.

B

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Apple TV and this whole streaming TV/download stuff is getting close to good-enough-to-buy.

We'll see what they unleash tomorrow. If it ISN'T some pathetitech with pixelation and crud download times, and the prices of shows come down a tad, I'll most likely buy. Soon it will be the must-have device, but will it be tomorrow?

Comment

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Buy a Blu Ray player and use Netflix over the post.

What's the point of an HDTV if you're going to feed it crappy video?

Comment

Greydog

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2004
Ok maybe I am missing someting here. Why would Apple promote Netflix w/ the release of a new AppleTV which would compete directly with it's own iTunes store movie and video downloads? What does Apple get?

Unless there is seriously better graphics horsepower under the hood of this new box, I don't see many people flocking to this.

Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Apple charges $49 for a stinking cable to connect an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch! A complete product for $99?? If it happens - great, but I just don't see it...

Comment

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
New Apple TV with Netflix...?

I don't know if Apple would come out the gate with a service pre-installed to compete with the the iTunes Store.

Comment

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
Uh yeah if it's running iOS then it will definitely be able to use the netflix app duh. I watch movies on my iPhone all the time now. However, I'm already streaming netflix on the Wii, so iTV better have some other reasons for me to sign up. :apple:

Comment

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
If it has full bore iOS with streaming apps and games, Apple has my money.
If they try to temper/cripple this to give iTunes rentals a headstart or an olive branch to the media/cable companies I will pass and be disappointed.

Comment

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Netflix streaming pretty much sucks. Poor compression leading to lots of pixelation, unresponsive ff/rew and no Dolby Digital (or DTS) 5.1. No thanks. I'd even keep crappy iTunes rentals over that junk.

Are you blind granted netflix is no Blu Ray but there HD streaming is pretty darn good if you ask me it looks alot better than iTunes and that is not streaming. I'll buy this day 1 when this come out with yesterdays news that Xbox Live is going to be 60 a year I may ditch my xbox as my entertainment streaming system and use my PS3/:apple:TV from now on.

Comment

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
New Apple TV with Netflix...?

I don't know if Apple would come out the gate with a service pre-installed to compete with the the iTunes Store.

Trust me Netflix doesnt come with in a 10 Ft radious of iTunes even with there new Paramount deal if i wanna watch Iron Man 2 id rather would pay the 2.99 to rent on iTunes than wait 90 days for it to come on netflix.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.