Reverse engineering in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brasiliangringo, Dec 9, 2009.

1. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

Does anyone know any guides or tutorials on software reverse engineering/ debugging for a complete beginner ?!

Sorry if the above sounds dubious but i'm just being curious ! :rolleyes:

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

hmmm, no, reverse engineering software that isnt free or allowed in the Eula is illegal

3. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Yes that's correct, but its not illegal to learn or apply it to something legit.;)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

'

The EULA probably specifically says you can't reverse engineer the software. This provision is common to all software.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I think he means he wants to be using OS X to reverse engineer not reverse engineer OS X.

The first step would be learn to program.

6. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Yes thats correct, thanks.

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Do you have programming experience?

8. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Absolutely nothing so excuse me for making it sound as if i know what im really going on about... I downloaded something on C Carbon but then read i should understand C first and C++..

9. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Any tool that reverse engineers existing apps will invariably show you machine code and if it is nice show it in assembly language. That would be even less helpful than getting the C source to the app in question for a beginner. If you are looking to debug C source code, there is one built into the Xcode IDE, so you should be able to google for "Xcode debugger" and find tutorials on how to best use the debugger. Have you installed Xcode yet?

10. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

If you want to see how existing software executes, you should read into dtrace and dtruss. Truss (dtruss on the mac) typically shows the system calls executed by a program so you can actually see how it works. Not generally pretty though, but useful if you know what you are looking at. :)

11. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

No ill need to do that, thanks for your input.

12. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

13. mufflon macrumors 6502

Dissassembly can be quite hard - especially if you try to disassemble a real application - given the lack of coding experience the only road I can advice is this: learn to code, don't do any of the hard stuff before you can even walk!

there was a decent thread on this topic earlier though, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=230466