Reverse engineering in OSX

brasiliangringo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Does anyone know any guides or tutorials on software reverse engineering/ debugging for a complete beginner ?!

Sorry if the above sounds dubious but i'm just being curious ! :rolleyes:

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I think he means he wants to be using OS X to reverse engineer not reverse engineer OS X.

The first step would be learn to program.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Absolutely nothing so excuse me for making it sound as if i know what im really going on about... I downloaded something on C Carbon but then read i should understand C first and C++..
Any tool that reverse engineers existing apps will invariably show you machine code and if it is nice show it in assembly language. That would be even less helpful than getting the C source to the app in question for a beginner. If you are looking to debug C source code, there is one built into the Xcode IDE, so you should be able to google for "Xcode debugger" and find tutorials on how to best use the debugger. Have you installed Xcode yet?

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
If you want to see how existing software executes, you should read into dtrace and dtruss. Truss (dtruss on the mac) typically shows the system calls executed by a program so you can actually see how it works. Not generally pretty though, but useful if you know what you are looking at. :)

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
Dissassembly can be quite hard - especially if you try to disassemble a real application - given the lack of coding experience the only road I can advice is this: learn to code, don't do any of the hard stuff before you can even walk!

there was a decent thread on this topic earlier though, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=230466