Reverse Grouping and Album - iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Clusty, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Clusty macrumors regular

Is there a way to make what is the "grouping" in iTunes, the "album", and vice versa?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What are you expecting then to put under 'Album'? If you are looking for organization tips you can set your iTunes view options to show 'Groups'. Otherwise there is no easy way to do this.

The hard way, and I'm just thinking this never done, would be to go into your iTunes XML file and do a search and replace of album and groups. Though This would require some high attention to detail and is not guaranteed to work. Make a backup of the XML file if you do feel the need to try.

3. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I've got a huge amount of mp3's that have the grouping and album reversed. The grouping needs to be the album and the album needs to be the grouping.

I thought this could be done with automator or applescript. All it needs to do is select the song, 'Get Info' copy the Grouping field and paste it into the Album field. Then replace the old grouping(in the grouping field) with Disney's Hollywood Studio.

4. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

5. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Grouping songs together? Why does it matter?

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

Maybe he is curious. Obviously Grouping has something to do with groups.... but that is pretty vague.

Is it sort of like a multi-disc set? So.... Disc 1 and Disc 2 would be of the same group?

7. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Yes.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well I tried the method that I suggested on my small PC iTunes library, and like I thought, it didn't work. I would probably have to suggest you use iEatBrainz to get the proper album names placed. Don't know how the Tag info got mixed up, but it's going to require a bit of time to get it straightened out.

EDIT: and grouping is for whatever Misc. kind of grouping you want. Totally arbitrary.