Reverse Preorder Nightmare: 7 iPhones ordered for 6/24

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IAmMeIAm, Jun 16, 2010.

1. IAmMeIAm macrumors newbie

Anybody end up with duplicate orders through ATT.com and Apple.com? Both of which fully seem to believe they're showing up on release day?

So in the chaos yesterday, I managed to make it to final checkout with four 32GB iPhones for my family plan. It times out, and then I find out ATT's pulled their site offline for maintenance (again.) I check my credit card, no pending auths or charges. No e-mail, no reference to the order completing, and I still show as upgrade-eligible when the site revives. This is at about 10AM Pacific, and multiple times after that I get somewhat far along in the order process, but never again to final checkout.

During this, I switch out my account billing address to somewhere somebody will be home to sign on 6/24.

Skip ahead to about 5PM Pacific, and I manage to get three out of four iPhones preordered through Apple's website (to the new address). Apple authorizes the funds, the orders look good in order history. The fourth phone doesn't get done, but the person it's for is fine with waiting a while and so I call it a win.

So I just got four order confirmations from AT&T, and sure enough they've authorized my credit card for all four phones. This means, at this point, I've got like $2,200 in credit tied up in iPhone authorizations after taxes.

So now I'm stuck--I'd prefer keeping my three orders with Apple, then canceling three with AT&T, but the past couple of days haven't exactly inspired my faith in AT&T's order handling. I'm also slightly worried that AT&T may have flagged my account in a way that means, come ship-time, the Apple orders will manage to fail somehow and so cancelling with AT&T will leave me phoneless. Likewise, there's always a chance AT&T will kick me to the back of the line or out of line completely once they realize the billing address no longer matches, so cancelling with Apple and sticking with AT&T seems risky.

I'm planning to try calling AT&T tomorrow, after the worst of the irate preorder fiasco callers are hopefully done, but am sort of debating letting everything process, then just returning whichever excess phones I get (if any) to a local store. The duplicated order posts I've seen were for orders duplicated on AT&T's site itself, not at AT&T and Apple, so I thought I'd ask.

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I had no trouble canceling my ATT order at all. It's not always easy to find it, but here's the number you want: 1-866-499-8008 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time.