Reverse Telecine, CANON HV30 and some basics

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Jul 23, 2009.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I have been using FCP suite 2 for a while now and have gotten into the habit of using FC and COLOR now, although a slow process with HD footage and only a 2ghz intel imac. I have tried to teach myself all that I can but am jammed a a few things.

1. I like the 24fps feature in my Canon HV30 yet I am totally NOOBED when trying to figure out how to use "mixed footage" such as stuff I shoot at 1/4000 shutter speed and 1/24 shutter speed. How do I make it all look the same? (the film look) is that the reverse telecine in compressor?

2. Canon HV30 - I export in FC as HDV 1080 60i. I believe that Canon has "wrapped up" the 24fps in a 60i package. Should I be de-interlacing this footage?

3. IN color, I have used the lowest setting of apple pro res out to save hard drive space. how much quality am I sacrificing when I do this?

Thanks in advance.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

1) for film look, shoot with a 1/48 shutter. period. changing the shutter speed will change the look. you can't adjust this in post, it is a stylistic choice you make when shooting.

2)what are you exporting to?

3)nothing that you'll miss

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

4. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Both Of You Kick Ass

I am never let down here.
    Especially you two folks!

BIGBOSS:
    If you mean exporting as in my final medium, it's often DVD

ONE OTHER QUESTION:
    I have three external drives, 2 FW and one USB.
    Right now I have been using the USB for my video clips (i capture on my imac hard drive then transfer) and use the two ext. fw for scratch discs. When I create my final movie, I write it onto my imac HD. Is this the fastest/most efficient use of my hard drives?
    I ask because my CPU's are not pinned when exporting and I feel it's a HD bottle neck.

example: imac to ext fw #1 in activity monitor has read @ 30mb/s and write at 30mb/s but while using compressor or QT export, it's a paultry 5mb/s

QUESTION 2:
    Project one is 45 mins long in HD footage. Project two is 50 mins long in HD footage. Same camera, same FCP. Why does one insist on being rendered while the other is fine and takes only 25 minutes to make a reference movie? the other other needs 5 hours.
    I have already checked my settings in my sequence and they seem to match up.

5. whowhatwhen21 macrumors newbie

Canon HV30 help

I need help. A friend of mine just had an important event shot on an canon HV30, using standard panasonic mini dv tapes. My issue is we have not been able to view or capture the footage from the tapes. The camera used is across the country. All the equipment i have is panasonic both sd and hd.

6. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

if you are using Final Cut importing, I use the HDV 1080i 60fps preset.
    place it in your HD camera and try that.

in the worst case, place the tape in the camera and try to let imovie do it. the con is that it uses a very bloated apple intermediate codec that is 36gigs/hour compared with the 12gigs/hr on FCP.

that help?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Panasonic doesn't support HDV. You need to find a Canon camera or Sony camera (or deck) that supports HDV.

Lethal