Reverse tethering iPhone to a mobile computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Craigriver, May 25, 2009.

1. Craigriver macrumors newbie

I travel to Canada, but can't afford using data (or my iPhone for that matter) there. I have a Verizon compatible computer card (not Verizon) which permits me to use data in Canada for a very low cost. I want to tether my iPhone to the computer via wifi from the mobile computer.

Tethering isn't permitted under the terms agreement from my cell provider. However, technically, I'm not using my computer simultaneously so, I'm not violating the spirit of the law. I'd just like to use my iPhone's wifi capibilites in Canada while traveling. Does anyone know of a method to clone my computer's mac address so I don't appear to be tethering?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Can't you set up an ad-hoc wireless network on your laptop and then connect to it using your iphone.

3. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

That would work, except you wouldn't be able to receive calls or SMS messages. But there are ways to do those through WiFi as well, such as Skype, and sending a text through email.

4. Craigriver thread starter macrumors newbie

It's understood by me that it's technically possible

I understand I can do this, however, I'd like my ISP provider to not disconnect me for violating the terms of agreement. To avoid this, I'd like to clone my mobile computer's mac number to the iPhone and was wondering whether there was a way to do this. Thanks.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why? Wi-Fi is separate from all telephony. You can get a call when you're on an ad-hoc network.

6. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

you're overcomplicating the issue

Use the 3rd party data card for internet
    share the data card connection over your computer's wifi then join your iphone to the same network. Your computer is using NAT within an adhoc network and therefore from the outside... it appears as if your computer is sending / rec all the data... no need to spoof your iphone's mac address...

then again... your post isn't very clear so... this was just an interpretation

7. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I was assuming he didn't want to get charged extra for anything.

8. Craigriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Bingo

Thanks, that's what I meant. A appreciate your response. Sometimes I don't communicate too clearly.