Reverse Tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphonehk, Oct 16, 2009.

1. iphonehk macrumors member

Hi,

was just wondering if this is possible since tethering is possible for iphone to pc/mac.

Situation: I travel to many countries on business that do not have wifi access. I do not want to chalk up expensive data usage while travelling. However, I am able to get access to LAN connections in hotel rooms which charge on a daily unlimited rate is is what I would pay for. What I would like to do is to connect my iphone up to the computer via bluetooth or something so that I could also surf the internet on my iphone probably using my PC/mac as a "router.

Is there a way to do it or I would have to download an app or something?

I am currently on 3.0.1 JB and have no intention of upgrading to 3.1.2 yet until it is more stable and easily JB.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. iphonehk thread starter macrumors member

Installed Bzeek but somehow it did not work. Set up my wireless and sort of stupidly messed up my LAN settings. (As you can see, I am rather hopeless with IT hence and asking for an idiot proof solution)

Thanks. I looked through this site before posting and hence I asked. Somehow I am not able to get it work. And I am not sure if it is free or something for Bzeek.

I screwed up my internet settings while trying to configure my wireless according to the site. Am clueless with IT.....

4. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Wait, I'm not sure if I follow. If I understand you right, you want to broadcast wifi from your computer (with an ethernet connection) so you can surf on your phone?

Windows has to have a way to do this, I'd think. On the Mac it's easy. Just click the airport menu item and 'Create Network.' Presto!

Disclaimer: If you meant something else, then I was just kidding!

5. Oceanus macrumors newbie