Revert an iTunes/iPhone sync? Help!

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Jon YonKondy, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Jon YonKondy macrumors newbie

Hello there,

I'm on my third Macbook Pro, but have only had an iPhone for about 4 months.

I went to upload some music to my iPhone for the second time. I plugged in the USB, and either 'synced' or something, but iTunes replaced my 10 years worth of very important playlists with the few I had on my iPhone -- and deleted everything else without warning me!

Silly playlists may seem trivial, but I had a 25 carefully planned playlists to fit on good old CD's that I've been listening to years.

I am truly heartbroken by this right now. Years and years of memories and whatnot.

I did not have Time Machine activated, if that's even an option.

There has to be something I can do. I tried 'undo-ing' the actions on iTunes, but there's not even an option.

This is just unacceptable.

Someone, please please help!

Thanks,

Jon

2. Jon YonKondy thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Solved

I figured it out! I restored my iTunes without Time Machine.
    All my playlists are back!

Watch the video in the middle of the page:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/09...s-library-itl- cannot-be-read/

To summarize, in case the linked page goes down:

Step 1: Close iTunes.

Step 2: Navigate to your Home folder and go to the Music/iTunes/ primary folder.

Step 3: Locate ‘iTunes Library.itl’, and rename it to ‘iTunes Library.bad’.

Step 4: Navigate to the ‘Previous iTunes Libraries’ folder, and locate the most recent library file, e.g. ‘iTunes Library 2013-06-11′. This is the most recent backup of your iTunes library file.

Step 5: Copy the most recent backup of your iTunes library file, and paste it in the Music/iTunes primary folder. Next, rename the backup file to ‘iTunes Library.itl’.

Step 6: Open iTunes, and your library should be back to normal prior to the iTunes upgrade.

I have no idea what generates these '.itl' files. It seems kind of random. The one previous was from four months prior. Thankfully, there was a very current one saved.

What's so sad about this is I'll be terrified to ever sync my iPhone with my Macbook Pro ever again.

This should not be the case with any of these supposedly simple and idiot-proof Apple products.

Enjoy!