Revert back to osx 10.8

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Ashct, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Ashct macrumors newbie

Hello!

I tried OSX 10.9 developer preview for a while and decided it was time to go back and await the full release.

I had enough bugs and decided to wipe my drive to revert back to 10.8 via cmd+r.

Unfortunatly I'm now stuck in the 10.9 developer preview install screen. I entered my login but nothing happens.

Is there anything I can do that does not require me to use another mac/pc?

All I want to do is to go back to 10.8

2. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

You can always just use a usb with 10.8 on it and clean install from that. Comes in handy. I keep both Mavericks and ML on separate usb's just for the purpose you want to achieve.

Slide023

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If your system originally came with 10.8, then use Cmd-Opt-R to get into Internet Recovery. This will reinstall 10.8 (as opposed to Cmd-R which reinstalls the same version that you currently have).

If your system came with 10.7 or earlier then it's probably easiest to redownload 10.8 from the App Store and make a DVD or flash drive.

4. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

CMD-R does not work with Mavericks because during the install, it overwrites the partition with 10.9.
    The only way to go back to 10.8 is what slide suggested... Boot from an external drive with 10.8, manually erase your hard drive through disk utile and clean reinstall 10.8. You can restore from time machine provided that you don't have a backup with 10.9. If you have backups with 10.9, you'll need to manually delete those in TM.
    I did this a few weeks ago and it's a pain but works.

5. Ashct thread starter macrumors newbie

So there's nothing I can do with the MacBook I currently have? The only way is to download Lion on someone else's Mac and install it on a USB?

Damn..

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When I wrote my earlier post I didn't realise that you couldn't boot your previously-installed system. If you don't have easy access to another machine then you can still restore the factory OS via the DVDs (10.6) or Internet Recovery (10.7), then download 10.8 from there.

7. Ashct thread starter macrumors newbie

Just came back from the Apple Store.

CMD + R doesn't work but CMD +ALT + R does! (Internet recovery)

Like Nermal just said. Thanks guys.