Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjsdaname

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
cedar rapids IA
I have lion right now and it is a pathetic POS.... worst purchase I have ever made computer wise...

I have a time machine backup if my computer right now with loin. I was wondering how I would go about switching back to SL? would I have to transfer all my files from my external HD manually ?

thanks.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Installation SL

I have lion right now and it is a pathetic POS.... worst purchase I have ever made computer wise...

I have a time machine backup if my computer right now with loin. I was wondering how I would go about switching back to SL? would I have to transfer all my files from my external HD manually ?

thanks.

Is as easy as inserting your original DVD. BUT your backups need to be in non time capsule format. So if thats the way you want to go, copy all your critical files as files to an external drive. (letters documents the lot)

Double check that you have everything you need. Then boot with your SL disk in the drive.

The old TM backups made under Lion will no longer help you, so that drive or partition should be cleared to start afresh.

Whats your beef with Lion? I think its a big improvement over SL IMHO

tjsdaname

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
cedar rapids IA
everything take literally double the time in lion if not 3-4 times as long...

booting with SL took about 30 seconds, now it takes over a minute.
safari freezes / crashes at least 5 times a day.
apps take at least double as long to open or close

but I guess I will just wait it out instead of going back to SL

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Wow

I have had no problems with Lion at all. Bootup time is about the same, never crashes at all. Maybe you should try again after you re-install SL

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
Is as easy as inserting your original DVD. BUT your backups need to be in non time capsule format. So if thats the way you want to go, copy all your critical files as files to an external drive. (letters documents the lot)

Double check that you have everything you need. Then boot with your SL disk in the drive.

The old TM backups made under Lion will no longer help you, so that drive or partition should be cleared to start afresh.
This^^

reverting back to SL on my MBA was the best thing i ever did for it. in fact, i often visit back here to make myself feel even better! ;) i kid.
but srsly, go back to SL, its easy, it'll take prob less than an hour and you'll be happy again. once you get over the "omg im reformatting this is going to be a PITA", after that its downhill. it will restore your faith in apple! the reformat reinstall, update process is smooth...

good luck OP...

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
This to me sounds like you're having problem which may not be entirely the fault of Lion. The only issue that I have on 2 different Macs (a 2010 Macbook Pro and a 2008 Mac Pro) is the bootup takes a few seconds longer but that is really about it.

I would check to see what in all you have starting up with your machine. I had a friend who was having similar issues. They had a lot of things starting up and few of them had updates to Lion.

We cleaned up his startup items and only reintroduced those that were up to date. World of difference.

Don't blame the OS until you've tried to fix the problem.

tjsdaname

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
cedar rapids IA
This to me sounds like you're having problem which may not be entirely the fault of Lion. The only issue that I have on 2 different Macs (a 2010 Macbook Pro and a 2008 Mac Pro) is the bootup takes a few seconds longer but that is really about it.

I would check to see what in all you have starting up with your machine. I had a friend who was having similar issues. They had a lot of things starting up and few of them had updates to Lion.

We cleaned up his startup items and only reintroduced those that were up to date. World of difference.

Don't blame the OS until you've tried to fix the problem.

for my startup items all I have is mail, smc fan control and dropbox.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
for my startup items all I have is mail, smc fan control and dropbox.

If you did a clean install the first time you might want to try it this time. People that reported slowness after installing Lion on top of Snow Leopard have also reported that the slowness disappeared after doing a clean install.

tjsdaname

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
cedar rapids IA
If you did a clean install the first time you might want to try it this time. People that reported slowness after installing Lion on top of Snow Leopard have also reported that the slowness disappeared after doing a clean install.

What hardware are you using? Lion does seem to work better with an extra bit of RAM.

how do I do a clean install? can I get a link to a tutorial?

and I am using a 3.06 C2D 27" iMac with the standard 4gigs of ram.

ExcelonGT

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008

How much RAM do you have? Apple Claims that 2GB is the min requirement, but they must be smoking something. Even the Apple Genius i spoke to said 4gb is BARELY going to cut it. the reason Apple priced Lion at $29 is so you can go buy more RAM :D

for any naysayers...monitor Ram consumption by Safari in Lion vs SL. I sometimes see "safari web content" taking up > 1.5gb of ram

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
is this tutorial good to follow for a clean install?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn9b-QLs_0k&feature=related

Yes that shows how to do a clean install. If you have a 8GB flash drive I would suggest using that instead of the DVD as the flash drive will be faster. Instead of burning the image you would restore the image to the flash drive in Disk Utility. Just make to erase the flash drive first using GUID format in Disk Utility.

tjsdaname

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
cedar rapids IA
well, I just created my lion install disc... I hope to come back with successful news in a couple hours...

my fear is losing some of my data, I have a time machine backup. so I should be okay though...

DarkestRitual

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
DC Met Area

I experience a boot time about 3 seconds shorter than SL, and that's on an OCZ Vertex 2.

blackomega31

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
What I don't get is why people in this forum call going back to snow leopard a downgrade. Since going back gives you more usability, better control and front row. I here buy declare going from lion to snow leopard an UPGRADE. Thoughts on this?

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
What I don't get is why people in this forum call going back to snow leopard a downgrade. Since going back gives you more usability, better control and front row. I here buy declare going from lion to snow leopard an UPGRADE. Thoughts on this?

I second this.

I was expecting Lion to finally bring the way overdue support for TRIM in 3rd party drives... boy was I wrong. I was also wrong in thinking Lion would be better optimized on hardware and more efficient with RAM. I was wrong on that too.

But what really made me puke in my suit was the fact that Expose is gone, application windows are grouped and theres no way to disable that, spaces are integrated and enabling mission control gives a ****ing ugly grey border around the entire screen including a thumbnail of a space even if theres just ONE and theres no way to disable spaces either. What the HELL was the development team at apple thinking???

Oh, and the finder, all grey icons... thanks for making it harder to locate folders.

The only real advantage in Lion for me is the fact that windows can be resized from any side. Oh, and the login screen looks nicer. That is all.

blackomega31

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
I second this.

I was expecting Lion to finally bring the way overdue support for TRIM in 3rd party drives... boy was I wrong. I was also wrong in thinking Lion would be better optimized on hardware and more efficient with RAM. I was wrong on that too.

But what really made me puke in my suit was the fact that Expose is gone, application windows are grouped and theres no way to disable that, spaces are integrated and enabling mission control gives a ****ing ugly grey border around the entire screen including a thumbnail of a space even if theres just ONE and theres no way to disable spaces either. What the HELL was the development team at apple thinking???

Oh, and the finder, all grey icons... thanks for making it harder to locate folders.

The only real advantage in Lion for me is the fact that windows can be resized from any side. Oh, and the login screen looks nicer. That is all.

Agree to all except the login screen. Another example of apple sucking out the color. Linen linen, grey linen everywhere. The only thing I like about the new login screen is you can put a custom message on it. "if found ........" now if you could change the background i think they would have something

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Agree to all except the login screen. Another example of apple sucking out the color. Linen linen, grey linen everywhere. The only thing I like about the new login screen is you can put a custom message on it. "if found ........" now if you could change the background i think they would have something

I just like the fact that the icons are circles. It works great on the background. But they also need to remove the status icons in the top right.

Honestly though, I wouldnt care much if the login screen was a direct copy of Windows. Nobody sees it much and its not a big deal. Everything else Apple managed to botch, is.

blackomega31

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
I can live with the circles, I can even live with the status bar. But the grey linen has to go. Those circles would look nice with a good colorful background

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.