iPhone Revert iPhone 4 to iOS 4 possible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ke1ington, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I have an iPhone 4 that was updated to iOS 7. Is it possible to get it back to a previous version, preferably the latest release of iOS 4 or 5?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but only if you have the SHSH blobs for the firmware you want to go to and for that particular device.

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Depends on when the iPhone was bought. A good place to start is how many gigs of storage does it have? The 16 and 32GB models can run iOS 4 if you get the SHSH blobs and do it correctly, however the 8GB models can only run iOS 5 and later. Check the serial and see when the iPhone was made, this should help pin point when the phone was made and what firmware you can go back too. In my opinion I would not recommend downgrading that far if you are going to be using it as a primary device. Remember FaceTime (and something else I don't remember, iMessage maybe?) doesn't work with anything lower then iOS 7 unless you have an iPod touch 4th Gen on 6.1.6.

4. Ke1ington thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I have a 5s as my primary device. The 4 is pretty much a backup iPod for parties. I just like tinkering and think it'd be nice to have a legacy OS on it.

It's a 32GB model.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The ONLY thing that matters is whether or not you saved the complete SHSH for an iOS4 or iOS5 firmware version. Without those being saved, it is impossible to restore to older, unsigned firmware.

Capacity is irrelevant !

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

But what if he has a 5S as his primary device and the iphone 4 is 32GB capacity and black in color?:D And with a screen protector on?
    That doesn't really matter either I guess.
    No shsh blobs saved for that device then there is no possibility of downgrade at all.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

^^^ Juice ^^^

LOL - Hilarious as always :D

Thumbs up !

9. KingShoot007 macrumors member

You can revert back to iOS 4 is you have SHSH blobs

If not, you can attempt a tethered downgrade, but you will need to find iOS 4 blobs from another iPhone 4, that match your iPhone model, and you will have a tethered jailbreak