Revert OS X with a new SSD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacbookAlex, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MacbookAlex macrumors member

MacbookAlex

Hi all,

I have a 15" RMBP mid 2015 which was a replacement of my 2013 15" RMPB. My first 2013 one was running os x mavericks, but when I was given the replacement 2015 one, it came preinstalled with El Capitan.

The replacement RMBP is now out of its warranty period, and I wondered that if I was to open the back cover and replace the SSD with a brand new one with no OS X yet installed on it, would I be able to install Mavericks onto it and thus be running Mavericks on a 2015 Mac that shipped with El Capitan? Would there be major problems when I begin to run the older OSX on it?

Thanks for your advice/opinions,

Alex

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

No. If it's a mid-2015 rMBP then it won't run Mavericks. I'm pretty sure the oldest macOS possible on that model would be Yosemite 10.10.3...see everymac.com. There have been exceptions, or at least one exception, to that rule (new Mac Pro) but it's a "no" for your model.

Also, in case you didn't know, it's not your standard, over-the-counter SSD in there. It is upgradable but pricey.

3. MacbookAlex thread starter macrumors member

MacbookAlex

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

So even if I got hold of an exact replacement SSD for it then it would realise that I was running a technically incompatible version of OSX?

I seem to recall reading somewhere a while ago that someone managed to actually install an older OS X than that which shipped with the Mac but it took some doing. Oh well, looks like i'll have to put up with the latest and greatest:eek:

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You won't be able to boot to Mavericks, and it won't install on the 2015 MBPro.
    In your case, your MBPro shipped with El Capitan.
    Because that model originally came with Yosemite, you may be able to revert to Yosemite, and that should work fine.

You can't go back to the older Mavericks on your new MBPro. It's not just technically incompatible, it won't work.

Can you tell us the reason that you would still want to run an older version of OS X, which is no longer getting security updates since the release of Sierra?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:

Brian gave you "the correct answers" above.

You can't run Mavericks on a 2015 MacBook Pro. Forget about it. Not going to happen.

You can't easily replace the drive in the 2015 MacBook Pro. This is not to say that it can't be replaced at all -- but doing so will be prohibitively expensive. More trouble than it's worth.

Better to keep what you have and use what you have.
    Consider yourself very lucky for having received it as a "replacement"!

6. MacbookAlex thread starter macrumors member

MacbookAlex

Ok, thanks for clarifying Delta Mac. One of the reasons that I want to downgrade OSX is the general look and feel, it might seem silly, but it's just my tastes:cool:
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2017 ---
    Thanks for the reply Fishrrman,

I did not know until this post that the SSD in the mac is not a standard SSD like what I got on Ebay for my unibody Mac.

Btw- the RMBP was replaced by the retail store I got it from even though it was out of warranty:):) It started to get a faulty logic board. Apple would never have done that:eek: so I was kinda lucky.

Alex