Revert printer drivers to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rikesh, Nov 25, 2011.

1. rikesh macrumors newbie

Since upgrading to Lion, I have had trouble printing using a Canon iR3080i via USB. The printer is detected and installs successfully, but when sending a document it shows 'waiting for printer to become available'...

On Snow Leopard I used the Generic PostScript driver and it worked fine. Now, it won't. I have also tried installing the Canon drivers from their website and using these instead, which still doesn't work.

Please point me to a download link for the 10.6 Generic PostScript driver or upload it?

Would be much appreciated,

Rik

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The generic PostScript driver is an integral part of MacOS X. What it is is the standard Apple driver used without a printer-specific PPD file. It is curious that your printer worked with MacOS X 10.6, but not MacOS X 10.7. The great change occurred with MacOS X 10.6. Your printer setup should have carried-over to MacOS X 10.7 and "just worked."

PPD files are [for the most part] OS-agnostic:
    1. Download the Windows self-extracting archive file PPDv300Win.exe from the Canon web site.
    2. A decompressing utility like Stuffit Expander can be used to decompress this file directly to your hard drive. It will expand into a folder named PPDv300 Win that holds PPD files for just about all Canon copier/printers supported under Windows.
    3. Do a Spotlight search for a file named CNRC348U1.PPD.
    4. Move this file to /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources.
    5. Redo your printer setup.

3. rikesh, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011

rikesh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply - I was so excited when I tried it today but alas, the same thing is happening.

Did as you said, put that file in the correct folder. What I noticed was that all the other PPDs were in .gz compressed format? Anyway, I tried installing the printer with both Generic PostScript and Canon - still 'waiting for printer to become available'.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated!

I will actually PAY the person who posts a working solution (that doesn't involve switching back from 10.7 to 10.6).