Revert to older firmware on older model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sfphoto, Jun 17, 2010.

1. sfphoto macrumors regular

In reading up on iPhone firmware v3.1.2 seems preferred if one wants to unlock.

In shopping for a new (to me) iPhone most seem to have 3.1.3 - the unlock procedure for this does not seem for the fainthearted.

So, my question is where I might find a DIY guide for reverting to older firmware (i.e. 3.1.2) - assuming such is possible.

Thanks in advance!

2. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Not possible because it has to go through itunes and Apples server to do so and they won't let you down grade ... To twart iphone unlocking!

If it had previously been unlocked and accidentally upgraded you have a slight chance. If so let me know.

3. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Its not going to matter at this point.

If you've updated to 3.1.3, even if you downgrade to 3.1.2 your Baseband is going to have the update from the 3.1.3 update bundle.

4. KingHuds macrumors 6502

Just wait till the 24th when 4 is released and new jailbreaks/unlocks are coming out.

5. sfphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the comments.

Odd to me (not an iPhone owner) since with a Mac computer one can re-install the original OS that came with the machine (via CD albeit) and delete all the contents at the same time.

6. KingHuds macrumors 6502

The bootrom and baseband are the biggest issues for jailbreaking and unlocking, which is more like to the BIOS of a computer than the OS.