Revert to Yosemite or wait it out?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by FiremanMike, Oct 9, 2015.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

I have a late 2013 iMac that I just purchased a few months ago which has the GeForce 750m graphics card. Since upgrading to El Captain, like many of you, my graphics performance has taken a nose dive. Nvidia did release an El Captain update, but not for this chipset.

I have an older backup on Yosemite, back when my system was smooth as butter, and I wouldn't lose that much data. Is it worth reverting back to Yosemite, or will El Captain have its bugs worked out soon?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

That is completely up to you really. Is it worth the time and effort to restore a previous OS - another option may be to opt in for the beta the dropped another 10.11.1 seed that may or may not address your specific problem.

I'm asking this out of curiosity not to be a jerk: could you give some examples of where the graphics performance has taken a nosedive?

3. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

The biggest example I've noticed is with blizzard games...

For full disclosure, after starting this thread I reconnected my second monitor, fired up WoW, and am currently typing this post while tabbed out from wow. Wow does seem to be running flawlessly "in the background" (fully loaded on my primary screen), so perhaps my biggest issue was fixed.

I'll try heroes here in a bit, but it was very choppy the other day when I played it.

4. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

After playing for a bit, it's still rather choppy, especially compared to how it used to be.

5. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I feel like there's a memory leak somewhere. Sometimes, the quality, speed, and multitasking of my graphics (specifically with blizzard) is on par with where it used to be. Frequently, however, it lags behind. Whereas previously I could watch a movie in iTunes on my secondary screen and have wow/heroes act just fine on my primary, I can't even think about that now.