Reverting 3G Back to 3.1.2 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by slow hand, Jan 27, 2011.

1. slow hand macrumors member

I seem to remember a thread about switching a 3G back to the last version that wasn't "slow." (3.1.2, I think?)

I'm giving my 3G to my girlfriend - it's been out of service since I got my iPhone 4 back in the summer. It's running real slow and laggy on 4.1.

Can someone direct me to that thread?

Thanks...

2. slow hand thread starter macrumors member

Wow...all that stuff is over my head.

My 3G isn't jailbroken.

So there is no way to backdate it to 3.1.3 without jailbreaking? And, did I read it right that the phone would have had to already be jailbroken before it was updated to ios4 in order for me to revert it back to 3.1.3?

Thanks,

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

not true. jailbreaking has nothing to do with it. you can put a 3g on any firmware that you have stored. just google felixbruns and go to the iPhone/iPod ipsw and look for 3g then 3.1.3 and download the ipsw. I suggest 3.1.3. then you open iTunes, connect, hit shift & restore. a window will open then you search the file you put the ipsw in. click on it hit open and it will says its verifying with apple click ok and it will restore to 3.1.3. its much easier than it sounds!!

4. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

However, if I'm not mistaken, he'd still need the SHSH to activate that installation, which isn't given out for 3.1.3 anymore (3.1.2 was iPad release, IIRC). Most common way to have SHSH for old firmwares being having your device jailbroken.

If you ask on the hacks board, I think there is one method of jailbreak that can get around the SHSH bit, but I'm not totally sure on that.

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

no you dont need them for a 3g. I do this several times per week.