Reverting back to OS 3 not OS 4? (iTouch 2nd gen "MC")

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Mike408, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Mike408 macrumors newbie

Hi, My friend recently gave me his old iPod Touch 2nd gen MC. It had OS 3.1.2 (i think?) and stupid me plugged it in and accepted the OS4.0 update. Now I am stuck with an ipod that I can't jailbreak, can't rollback, cant use pirated apps on :'[.
    Someone please help me. I don't want to wait very long for a solution but I know i might have to stick with the boring version of the iTouch

2. Kafluke macrumors member

(I'm assuming that you're running a PC and do NOT have itunes running)

First download TinyUmbrella and check what SHSH blobs you have on file with Cydia.
    After that download your desired firware version (I'd recommend 3.1.2 since you can either JB and stay their or use sn0wbreeze 1.7 to JB up to 4.0 if you want) from here

Now navigate to your hosts file in your copy of windows. (Just google where to find hosts file in windows <insert your version of windows here>)

open with notepad. If using Windows Vista or 7 you'll want to first open notepad by right clicking and choosing "run as administrator" then from their open your hosts file.

add this line to the bottom of your hosts file and save.

Code:
    74.208.10.249	gs.apple.com
    Put your ipod into DFU mode (google this too)

When your sure that you're in DFU mode (black screen but you heard the windows beep that it detects something), open itunes.

It will tell you that you need to restore. Hold down shift on your keyboard and click restore, a window will pop up and then you navigate to your firmware that you downloaded earlier.

Good luck!

3. Kafluke macrumors member