Reverting back to Snow Leopard From Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 1=1?, Jul 20, 2011.

1. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

I've made a terrible mistake. Does anyone know if there's a way to revert without losing all my changes since the last time machine backup?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Clean install SL and restore from a TM backup.

3. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Re-install Snow Leopard from the installation disk and use time machine to migrate your back-up.

Edit: Oh darn it, Hellhammer...

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

He has that affect on people.

5. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

(bold added by me)

Did you not run a time machine backup right before installing Lion? That should be the first thing you do before any major install, especially something as large and complex as an OS. Either way, you will have to do as others have said and restore from your last TM backup, whenever that may have been. You will lose any changes since then.

6. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

I just upgraded my hard drive so I tried to do a time machine back up but my disk wasn't big enough. I decided to just go through with it, so I'm going to have to restore to like a week ago eh? **********...

7. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

Actually providing those questions are all answered the way I expect them to be, can I get a bigger hd do a TM backup, restore from an old snapshot and then take files from the latest TM backup?

8. 2square macrumors member

can you revert back to SL after having used TM in lion?

i backed up before installing lion, used lion for several hours while working, and am considering switching back if it's possible.

s

9. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

I reverted. I lost a week of work, but it is worth it. Some programs wouldn't even run properly. I might see if I can get a refund? Chances are low, but I think probably I'll just wait until they iron out the problems with it and then re-download it later (I assume it'll be free since I already paid for it).

10. 2square macrumors member

did you have to do it the way hellhammer and macaroony suggest? i.e. by reinstalling SL or can you restore directly from time machine through its interface?

11. Andeavor macrumors 6502

You have to do a clean install/restore because Lion has replaced many necessary system files that were not backed up by TM.

12. iBunny macrumors 65816

Im not about to be that guy, but here it goes...

I clean installed Lion.... meaning no upgrade.

Wiped the Hard Drive, Started Lion from scratch.

I have yet to see 1 issue. Not one problem here at all. The only thing I dont like is missing front row, but thats not really a problem.

How is it you people are having all of these issues?

13. 2square macrumors member

i completely understand ibunny, the only issues i have with lion are minor UI changes which affect workflow, like the new gestures in particular. i'm sure it is much easier to stay with lion than to go back to SL.

don't get me wrong, lion has many benefits over SL, but in terms of flexibility in certain quarters, as mentioned above, it takes some getting used to after working on SL for over 2 years.

14. bigmacrodney macrumors newbie

Lion back to Snow leopard

How do I return to Snow leopard, I can't get anything to work any longer that Im used too.

I do have Carbonit backup, and time machine.

15. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

clean install using your gray disks or retail disk.

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I've seen the "proof" that 1=2

17. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

+1 Precisely!

18. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Hellhammer, will this get rid of the recovery partition too?

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you erase the whole hard drive (i.e. not just the Lion partition), then I'm sure it will. Erasing just the Lion partition might leave it there but I'm not sure.

20. 300hemi macrumors newbie

it doesn't work.

I've wiped out the hard drive by overwriting zeros 7 times, and deleted all partitions, including Lion recovery partition, and used the SL gray discs that originally came with my macbook pro 2009 model, and still it doesn't allow me to revert back to SL after installed a clean Lion from a disc. it seems as if Lion has tendency to make some registry changes in the bios that the system recognizes the lower OS version cannot be installed over a newer version of Bios. unless a tricky method can be developed to bypass this obstacle.

21. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Dang, you replied back haha. You must be using an earlier install disk of SL that doesnt have the specific kernals for your machine. That's why it isn't installing. Try getting a 10.6.6 recovery disk.