Reverting ipod to 3.1.3 with Time Machine?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by greg555, Nov 13, 2010.

1. greg555 macrumors 6502a

There was a thread about this but a half hour of Googling didn't find it.

The battery life on my son's 8GB iPod touch got much worse with iOS 4 even though he has it in airplane mode all the time. So he wants me to revert it back to 3.1.3

I can see the firmware in /User/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/ folder but when I go into Time Machine and go back more than a few days this folder doesn't exist. So I can't get the old version back via Time Machine.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Did they move the location between 3 and 4?

Please help. Thanks.

Greg

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can always download older firmware from the internet, not being able to find it in Time Machine isn't your biggest problem. Your main problem is that if you did not save your SHSH for 3.1.3, then you won't be able to downgrade it. If, at this point, you are asking "What is SHSH?" then you are SOL -- you can't downgrade. If you did save your SHSH, then firmware can be found here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

3. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't save my SHSH unless time machine did it for me. Where would I look?

Thanks - Greg

4. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

To save your SHSH, you either had to Jailbreak and click "Make My life easier" in cydia, or use tinyumbrella to save them. If you didn't do either of those, you're stuck with iOS4.

5. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's too bad. Thanks for the info.

Greg