Reverting OS X to factory condition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ManuelGomes, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ManuelGomes macrumors 65816

Macs come with GarageBand, Photos, iMovie and iWorks bundled with OS X as their default factory install.
    I did a complete re-install the other day to the latest build but I forgot that when installing for the first time my wife's account was used to set it up. I used mine for the re-install and none of those apps were installed, and of course they don't show up at the App Store now. I believe I should have de-authorized the machine prior to a new install.
    What should I do now so I can once again re-install but like it was the first time, even if it's with the original version? I believe Apple stores all images on their servers so that one can have a Mac go back to factory condition, right? Even better if it's with the latest version, but with all the apps installed.
    Thanx

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You need to login to the App Store app with the wife's AppleID, then the iLife and iWorks apps should be listed in her purchased tab. You can reinstall them from there. They don't get reinstalled as part of an OS install. You have to manually do it from the App Store.

3. ManuelGomes thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I know that thanks.
    But I was hoping there was a way to revert to the way it came from the factory/store.
    Like you could start the machine like you just opened the box and start the config from scratch.
    This way, every time I want/need to reinstall OS X I'll have to login again with her account.
    And if I want to sell this Mac I can't sell it as it came, with all apps installed.
    I guess family share will also work, I'll try.

Again, thanx

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There really is no way to do that. Once you setup a new Mac, you go to the App Store and "claim" the iLife and iWorks apps to link them to your AppleID. So from then on, if you erase the drive you will need to use that AppleID to get the apps on there. So when Apple says you get those apps free, you do... but in reality only the first owner does.

There is a way fresh install like you did then make and account and use the AppleID to install the apps, then delete that account such that the system setup runs again the first time you start. That would sort of be like the new out of the box experience you mentioned. But still, those apps would be linked to the AppleID.

5. ManuelGomes thread starter macrumors 65816