Reverting to factory settings in Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Medicalman, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Medicalman macrumors newbie

I have a 27" Imac 2013 model which i am hoping to sell to buy a MacBook Pro.

The question I have is how to revert to the first day I got the computer with all apps like IMovie, Iphoto and Garageband installed. I have no install disk as it was all pre loaded.

I am relatively new to Mac computers so any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks

2. Bruno09, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

have a look here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

When you are in the "Mac OS X Utilities" application window, use Disk Utility to erase your Macintosh HD drive.

Prefer an Ethernet connection over wifi, as you will download ~ 4,5 GB.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Use the recovery system like Bruno explained.

One thing though, those iLife apps you mentioned are tied to to your AppleID and they will not be installed on the system as part of a fresh install like you want.

The only way to get them back is to create a user account and login to the App Store with your AppleID and reinstall the iLife apps from there... and I don't think you want to do that on a system you are selling.

I would just do the OS install and when the setup assistant launches at the end of the install, just do a command-q to quit it and shutdown the machine. This way the new owner will be greeted by the setup assistant when they first start.

Just disclose when you advertise it has only the OEM, default OS installed and nothing else.

4. Medicalman thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks to you both for your replies, help and advice:)