Reverting to iOS6?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by shahrezsyed, Jun 16, 2013.

1. shahrezsyed macrumors regular

I want to revert to iOS6 from iOS7 but can't because when I try to restore to the ipsw file I downloaded, it says that the firmware is not compatible...
    I have a factory unlocked iPhone 5 from Canada. Can someone here direct me to the correct download link for iOS 6.1.4 for my iPhone? I've tried the redmond pie link already...

2. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Google it enough and you'll find links - type "iPhone 5 6.1.4 ipsw" and I guarantee links for you. Don't wanna send you the wrong one, and be blamed for borking your device :)

You'll need to do some "hosts file" editing to allow it to downgrade, I think - Google that too :)

Regards, Matt.

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Simply open iTunes with your iPhone plugged in.
    Turn off your iPhone without disconnecting it from iTunes.

Place your iPhone into DFU mode and then click 'restore' after being
    prompted by the popup window in iTunes.

4. shahrezsyed thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much... :)

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

That will just restore your device. It won't get you back to iOS 6. You'll need to find the 6.1.4 .ipsw online, download it, and shift + restore to it.

6. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Wrong, with respect. You need to edit your hosts file 'somehow' (Google it) or it checks with Apple, realises you're on the newest iOS (regardless of Beta or not) and refuses it permission... direct from the mothership! :p

7. FourOhFour macrumors member

No you don't. iTunes will always restore the current public release to a phone in DFU mode. I'm not sure it can even tell what version is installed when in DFU mode.

Also, you don't need to muck with your hosts file. That's for downgrading to a version Apple is no longer signing, and 6.1.4 (or 3, depending on device) is still being signed.

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    That's right.
    I've already gone back and forth with 6.1.4 > 7.0 < 6.1.4 > 7.0 and back to 6.1.4 via the method I described.

I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't work just as is.

9. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Ah, okay! :) thanks :)

10. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

noticed you have been flip flopping between 6 and 7... whenever you restored did you restore from back up? i went to 7 as soon as it came out but did manual "update" through itunes, days later i decide to go back to 6 and notice my complete Camera Roll backup doesnt show... only 88 MB worth yet my back up still claims 220 MB. Did something go wrong in between switching?

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I couldn't decide between the two, honestly. I love the overall look and feel of 7.0 but the fluidity of 6.1.4 is tough to give up- for now.

Perhaps after a couple more betas come and go, but for now I need my iPhone to work effortlessly (without heating up and offering terrible battery life).

12. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

was this a reply to my post? i dont think you read my post right lol

13. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

noticed you have been flip flopping between 6 and 7... whenever you restored did you restore from back up? i went to 7 as soon as it came out but did manual "update" through itunes, days later i decide to go back to 6 and notice my complete Camera Roll backup doesnt show... only 88 MB worth yet my back up still claims 220 MB. Did something go wrong in between switching?

I performed a fresh restore- reset all data/settings via the iPhone and then restored with iTunes a fresh 7.0

14. johnmed macrumors member

iPhone 5 UK here, I downgraded from 7 to 6.1.4 on Saturday. Used my MBP. Tried using d'loaded IPSW to no avail, and tried DFU mode twice before it worked.

15. BlankStar macrumors regular

I did a shift-update to 6.1.3 (iPhone 4S) without DFU or anything. Worked without a problem.

Took me hours to get there though as I was trying to go back to 6.1.2 at first :p

16. digitalove macrumors regular

You have to put your iPhone into DFU once it's turned off?

17. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Instructions for getting into DFU are:

- Plug phone into computer, let it appear in iTunes
    - Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time
    - After exactly 10 seconds, release the Sleep/Wake button and keep your finger on the Home button until iTunes pops up informing you that your device is in DFU mode.

Source: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

18. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I didn't have to, shift + restore and that was that.

19. GoldSpartan macrumors newbie

20. Sandmoose macrumors newbie

Good luck

I don't blame you for switching back. I cant look at it anymore.

21. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

You still having troubles? At first I got the same error you did, then I went to another website to make sure I had the correct file. Turns out i had the CMDA instead of the GSM =P