Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0mm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Nottingham, UK
I have a 3G S on 3.0.1 and it's jailbroken.

However it's playing up and I need to send it off to Apple.

Incase something happens (my luck) and they wont fix it and return it I want to be able to jailbreak again.

When I try to restore it with the 3.0 firmware or the 3.0.1 it says it cant as its not a registered build or something.

Anyone know How to do it?

Thanks!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I have a 3G S on 3.0.1 and it's jailbroken.

However it's playing up and I need to send it off to Apple.

Incase something happens (my luck) and they wont fix it and return it I want to be able to jailbreak again.

When I try to restore it with the 3.0 firmware or the 3.0.1 it says it cant as its not a registered build or something.

Anyone know How to do it?

Thanks!

Apple quit signing the 3.0 and 3.0.1 IPSW's for the 3GS

You can only choose 3.1 which locks your baseband.

TheHeadFL

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
It isn't accurate to say that it 'locks' your baseband.

Your baseband will be upgraded to the newer version which does not yet have any known vulnerabilities, however that doesn't mean that no vulnerabilities will ever be found. It is just a gamble.

OP, if you don't care about unlock and just want to jailbreak, go ahead and restore 3.1 because the JB for that is coming soon enough anyway.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
It isn't accurate to say that it 'locks' your baseband.

Your baseband will be upgraded to the newer version which does not yet have any known vulnerabilities, however that doesn't mean that no vulnerabilities will ever be found. It is just a gamble.

OP, if you don't care about unlock and just want to jailbreak, go ahead and restore 3.1 because the JB for that is coming soon enough anyway.

Sure, the baseband is locked as there are currently no known exploits. Something is locked until a key or method to unlock or open it is found.

Just as you stated, you can jailbreak if you don't care about unlock.

And in time a vulnerability may be found, until then, it is locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.