Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back at CES in January, Alogic introduced its new lineup of 32-inch 4K displays, following up on 27-inch models launched last year. I've now had some time to put the high-end Clarity Max Touch model from the 32-inch family through my daily grind, and I've found it offers some nice features for those looking for a larger canvas to work on.

alogic-clarity-max-touch-triple-setup.jpg

To recap, there are three models in each of the 27-inch and 32-inch Clarity display lineups, with varying features. The base model in each is a fairly standard 4K display running at up to 60 Hz that can connect over USB-C, HDMI, or DisplayPort, and it includes a few extra USB-A ports on the rear to serve as a mini-hub for accessories that don't demand too much in the way of power or data speeds.

The middle-tier model of each size adds a retractable 8-megapixel webcam at the top of the display, while the high-end models offer both the webcam and touchscreen support that works on Windows and Mac. For the 32-inch family, I've only tested the high-end Clarity Max Touch, but my observations should also apply to both the base Clarity Max and the mid-range Clarity Max Pro with the exception of those features that are exclusive to models at the higher end of the range.

Setup is quite easy, with a two-piece stand design that quickly goes together with a thumb screw and then clicks into the rear of the display. The stand is primarily made of silver aluminum, which offers sturdy support for the display with very little wobble. The stand offers both tilt and height adjustment, a welcome feature that costs extra on some displays such as the Apple Studio Display.

alogic-clarity-max-touch-ports.jpg
Rear ports

With USB-C, HDMI, and DisplayPort connectivity options, you have an array of choices depending on your setup and you can connect additional devices like an Apple TV or game console thanks to the multiple inputs.

I hooked the Clarity Max Touch up to my 16-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro chip and generally used it in a triple-display setup with the Alogic display as my main monitor, a 27-inch LG 5K UltraFine display off to the left as a secondary display, and the MacBook Pro with its built-in display off to the right as a third screen. I tested with both HDMI and USB-C connections and settled on USB-C for the more seamless operation it offered.

My typical desk setup has included a pair of the 5K UltraFine displays, so I've been a bit spoiled by the high pixel density that allows for true Retina quality plus the tight integration with macOS such as support for volume and brightness adjustment right from my Magic Keyboard.

With a lower 4K resolution on a larger 32-inch screen, running the Clarity Max Touch at a Retina size of 1920x1080 isn't a feasible option, as content appears far too large on the screen, which means you're going to want to run it at a higher scaled resolution. I used the 3360x1890 option in macOS for a while but ultimately settled on the maximum 3840x2160 resolution. Content is a bit on the small side, but the benefits of having a huge 4K desktop make it worth it for me.

alogic-clarity-max-touch-solo.jpg

Content certainly is not as sharp as on a Retina display, but when I run it as a full 4K desktop, the content is small enough on the screen that it's not a major hindrance in my opinion. I'm not a high-level photo or video editor, so I'm not heavy into display calibration, but with testing only a few color profiles I was able to find one I was happy with. Depending on color profile, the display can pick up a bit of a pink tint as you move to more severe viewing angles, but as long as I was looking fairly straight-on as I normally would, I didn't notice any color issues.

It's worth noting that the Clarity Max lineup is one of the only display families I'm aware of to offer 32-inch glossy screens as opposed to the matte finishes more commonly found on this size of display. I've found the glossy screen on the Clarity Max Touch allows for good color reproduction, and while it can generate some glare depending on lighting angles, I already have a good desk arrangement that minimizes the issue so it hasn't affected my use of the display.

The display does run at a maximum of only 60 Hz, so if you're looking for higher refresh rates, you won't find them here. But for my day-to-day usage that centers around web browsing and other productivity tasks, it's perfectly fine. If you like portrait displays, the Clarity Max models easily rotate to vertical orientation and macOS makes it easy to adjust desktop rotation to match.

alogic-clarity-max-touch-portrait.jpg

If you connect any of the Clarity Max displays to your laptop via USB-C, the display can provide up to 65 watts of passthrough power to keep your computer charged up. That's enough for most of Apple's laptops, although 16-inch MacBook Pro models and higher-end 14-inch models may be able to exceed that limit. But unless you're doing really heavy work, the display's power output should be sufficient for most users, even if it may not be able to recharge a depleted battery as quickly as a more powerful charger.

The 8-megapixel retractable webcam remains hidden within the body of the display while not in use, and it automatically rises whenever an app such as FaceTime, Skype, or Zoom is opened and the display's webcam is selected in the app's settings. The camera automatically retracts when the app is closed or a different camera is selected in the app's settings.

alogic-clarity-max-touch-camera.jpg
Camera activated

My test unit did ship with a bug that prevented the webcam from retracting once the app requiring it was closed, but a simple firmware update fixed the issue for me and Alogic says units shipping now should come with that f... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Review: Alogic's 32-Inch 4K Clarity Max Touch Display Offers a Large Desktop Canvas With Retractable Webcam and Touchscreen Capabilities

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Interesting, I wonder how well they would perform as a digital tablet akin to a Wacom Cintiq?

Tho, admittedly, I feel like anything bigger than 24" would be too big (currently on a 22" Kamvas)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wait, so what about the touch capabilities?..

There are several paragraphs about it, but they're not in the truncated forum post version...click through to the full article.

How stable is the mount for the time users will be prodding the thing [responsiveness too?]. No point if it is prod [WOBBLE] prod [WOBBLE] prod [WOBBLE].
Very stable. It'll obviously move if you press somewhat firmly toward the outer edges, but at the strength required for touches to register, it moves very little.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
who the hell writes those reviews for macrumors...how do you have such a long monitor review without ever mentioning the actually display picture quality / text clarity...and given this is macrumors - how does it compare to the studio display? .....just total fail, find a new job... /facepalm

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
who the hell writes those reviews for macrumors...how do you have such a long monitor review without ever mentioning the actually display picture quality / text clarity...and given this is macrumors - how does it compare to the studio display? .....just total fail, find a new job... /facepalm
Hi, it me. The quality is good as long as you keep in mind it's a 32-inch 4K display. The pixel density is nowhere near as high as a Studio Display, so that much should be obvious.

I said I've been spoiled by Retina displays (like the Studio Display, though the LG UltraFines are my daily drivers), and this doesn't match those in that regard. But within the constraints of the pixel density, the quality is perfectly fine, and you can't get the Studio Display in a 32-inch size. The Pro Display XDR will obviously outperform at the same size, but you're going to have to pay a heck of a lot more for that.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
There are several paragraphs about it, but they're not in the truncated forum post version...click through to the full article.

Very stable. It'll obviously move if you press somewhat firmly toward the outer edges, but at the strength required for touches to register, it moves very little.
FFS — thanks)))

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I only came here to ask, why is there a USB-B port on this monitor? 😂 Genuine question.
Obviously not in play for most Apple users, but there's a USB-B to USB-A cable in the box that lets you connect via USB-A on a computer. If you're solely connected over USB-C, data speeds are limited to 2.0 speeds because video is going over the same cable. But if you connect video separately, you should be able to use the USB-B port to get faster 3.0 speeds. But again, most Apple users aren't going use that configuration.

Reactions: Rokkus76 and bice

DestructoTim

Suspended
Aug 30, 2021
How stable is the mount for the time users will be prodding the thing [responsiveness too?]. No point if it is prod [WOBBLE] prod [WOBBLE] prod [WOBBLE].
I’d like these details too. That’s why I have steered clear of Samsung’s iMac clone monitor. It’s not a touch screen, but it still creeks and wobbles all around. Not spending big bucks on junk build just for a decent display. Ill just pay all the way.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Really too bad that there are so few monitor options with Apple-friendly PPI. The longer we go without a 5K iMac replacement, the more that becomes a sore point.
I want an ultrawide 32:9 so, so bad...
But going back to 108 or 140 ppi feels like going back to 2014.

Even the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57-inch with 8K wide, is 140 ppi, still far from 216 ppi...

Reactions: RichardGroves

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
It's always striking though - just how these displays are much thicker than the iMac, but has a lower resolution, worse webcam, no speakers AFAIK, and obviously comes with no computer inside.

Apple really accomplished a feat of engineering with the iMac.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Really too bad that there are so few monitor options with Apple-friendly PPI. The longer we go without a 5K iMac replacement, the more that becomes a sore point.
How much more than 3 do we need? unless someone does something different like oled I don’t see much changing til bandwidth gets better or prices come down.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Wait, so what about the touch capabilities?..
Apparently…

"The touchscreen functionality doesn't turn my Mac into a full touch experience, but I do sometimes find it convenient to just flick the screen to scroll long web pages, use a three-finger swipe to access Mission Control, or use the five-finger pinch expand gesture to get to my desktop. Pinch and rotation gestures are also helpful with some image manipulation tasks."
So basically nothing that would make Apple want to consider a touch screen. Nothing the trackpad cannot do more easily.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Apparently…

"The touchscreen functionality doesn't turn my Mac into a full touch experience, but I do sometimes find it convenient to just flick the screen to scroll long web pages, use a three-finger swipe to access Mission Control, or use the five-finger pinch expand gesture to get to my desktop. Pinch and rotation gestures are also helpful with some image manipulation tasks."
So basically nothing that would make Apple want to consider a touch screen. Nothing the trackpad cannot do more easily.
Thanks, yes — it was pointed out to me that I need to read the whole article. I'm wondering if I would ever even want to use this :))

Reactions: steve09090

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
IMG_0420 2 Small.jpeg
IMG_0424 2 Small.jpeg

I had the 27" touch but ended up returning it. FYI the pictures show both the touch stand (extra charge) and the regular stand.

Pros
  • the regular (non-touch) stand is fantastic
  • the pencil will magnetically stick to the bottom of the screen
  • looks pretty stylish from the front
  • the pencil latency was much higher than the apple pencil, but quite usable
  • the on screen display/ controls were touch
  • picture in picture was a nice feature
  • bright display 350-400 nits (i work in front of a window)
  • touch stand brought monitor nice and low to the desk, but you have to be careful with the ports in the back getting bent
  • They often go on sale
  • free returns
  • chat support was good, but was inconsistently available

Cons
  • monitor wont charge your laptop when the monitor is off
  • the color was decent albeit a little "grey", but not nearly the same as my M1 Macbook Pro. I didn't try to calibrate
  • pencil was just a surface pro pen and wasn't nearly as good as the apple pencil
  • the pencil constantly had to be charged via USB
  • the painted plastic (to make it look like it's aluminum) on the rear of the monitor seemed cheap
  • more screen glare than apple products
  • the touch stand angled the monitor about 10 degrees clockwise, I think it was defective
  • I had weird USB disconnect issues which is the main reason why I returned it (didn't want to take the chance). This could have been a defective unit I'm not sure.
Hopefully this might help someone who is thinking of buying one. I feel Alogic is a good company and the monitors are an alternative to an Apple display and decent value but the Apple monitors are definitely better quality. These compromises might be ok with you when you consider the price difference.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.