Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Native Union's Apple Watch charging solution, dubbed the "Anchor," is definitely winning in one category: its simplicity. The new accessory is neither a stand nor a dock, but more of a pad designed to nestle an Apple Watch charger and act as a dedicated area for users to rest their Apple Watches on to give them power. It's a stripped-down approach that makes the Anchor endearing, but ultimately also keeps it from becoming a front-runner in the budget-minded Apple Watch charging solution market.

Design

The Anchor is crafted in two separate parts, with a non-slip silicone acting as the base for a weighted zinc alloy for resting the Apple Watch on. The two halves come apart for installation, which is a simple process thanks to the ease with which the silicone base forms around Apple's inductive charging puck. It'll also be a breeze for those who travel frequently, since the Anchor's small footprint and minuscule weight (3.2 ounces) should be easily accommodated in a travel bag.

anchor-dock-2-800x459.jpg

Due to its flat build, it should be mentioned that the Anchor's small size is a bit deceptive initially, as its 2-or-so inches become anywhere between 10 to 12 inches (depending on Band size) once the Apple Watch lays on the dock. And given its design, the Anchor doesn't elevate the Apple Watch above and away from a desk's clutter while being charged -- as many other docks successfully achieve -- instead tending to add to any clutter.

Design wise, there's not much else to say about the Anchor. With a small stature and rudimentary -- but functional -- design, it should make most owners of the Apple wearable happy. In particular, those who find the large size of some other docks to be a burden, or believe the bigger stands take away from the Apple Watch as its own centerpiece may appreciate the Anchor.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: 'Anchor' Offers Simple Apple Watch Charging, but With Drawbacks

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
As a Watch owner who is looking for a watch stand, even I don't feel the need for this daily watch stand plugs.

Also worth noting that every one has been ugly so far, but at least this one doesn't look like repurposed chopping board!

Last edited:
Reactions: artfossil

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
The one Apple sells is tons better than this and it even displays in Nightstand mode. This is nuts. I have one that I got on Kickstarter (usual months late lol) and it at least takes loop bands. WTF?

rstone3

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2007
Midwest
But it is "only" $29! Love the other comments, especially the fact it is a square container for a round charger!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Definitely minimalist in stature, but I wonder if that metal top would scratch the watch. If (and that's a big if) it were relatively stable standing up vertically on it's front edge, it would work with 'night-stand mode', even with closed-loop bands, and at half the price of their 'Dock for Apple Watch', it could then be a decent albeit compromise option for those traveling a lot.

That above mentioned full-sized 'Dock for Apple Watch' which is only available so far in graphite, by comparison looks arguably dull and bulky.

For night-stand mode only, which for most people is about the only time the Watch is not on your wrist anyway, my favorite dock is still the Spigen S350. Granted, it's not the most glamorous looking dock, but for $10.99 at Amazon it's certainly a practical night-time charging solution for budget conscious folks.

Last edited:

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
So tired of these endless "reviews".
Yet another iPad case, dumb watch stand, case, case, case, stand, stand, stand, minor update to an app, win a backpack, case, stand, minor update... God... Where are the real news and rumors, interviews with real Apple guys, some original content (not a review), info from behind the scenes?

Can't believe all those reviews are free and not advertisements. If they're free then probably in exchange of a free stand or case. Hope when each editor gets the stand they finally like, this flood will end.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I expect more from Native Union. This is a lame and lazy attempt at making an Apple Watch accessory.

beanbaguk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
What a load of total codswallop. I can't believe people would actually buy this!

MacRumors....how about filtering out this total crap from your articles. There seems to be more and more junk appearing here daily which is a shame as there's usually very interesting stuff here also.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Funny reading some of the comments here. Yes, it's just a dock like every other dock, just in the most simplest form. $30 is a looney price though. Maybe $10. I made a similar one out of free wood samples and a Dremel.

But it does show what a terrible design Apple's charger is because it does flop around on the nightstand, dresser, table. For the price of the Apple Watch Apple should have included something like this. It reminds me of all the adapters that 3rd parties made for the original iMac hockey puck mouse; another example of Apple form over function. Those are rare, but when they happen they are really stinkers.

eac25

macrumors regular
For those (few?) folks that just use the charger as it shipped and have trouble with the thing sliding off the nightstand/desk/table where they charge, this thing will at least keep the charger in place. Is that worth $30? - probably not. But IMHO that's the only purpose it serves - keeping an unadorned charger from sliding away.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I used the bottom half of the box it came in for months until my KS one showed up. It's not like we all don't have *something*. :)

If I didn't have the one from KS, I'd probably get the one Apple sells (can't ever remember the name).

JohnSuke

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2015
interesting to see all those comments, with no sensitivity to design, minimalism, and product emotions. I'm a designer and consider the purity of this design absolutely stunning. You guys certainly don't know how much work is needed to make such a product look that sexy and well balanced. Simplicity is the highest level of sophistication as you may have heard already.... I'm an Apple watch owner, I'm annoyed by my unstable charging puck and I'm sensitive to aesthetic and want a neat solution. This is the nicest watch accessory I have ever seen ! Maybe I'm the only one appreciating the work here, but at least they will have one customer :)

beanbaguk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
interesting to see all those comments, with no sensitivity to design, minimalism, and product emotions. I'm a designer and consider the purity of this design absolutely stunning. You guys certainly don't know how much work is needed to make such a product look that sexy and well balanced. Simplicity is the highest level of sophistication as you may have heard already.... I'm an Apple watch owner, I'm annoyed by my unstable charging puck and I'm sensitive to aesthetic and want a neat solution. This is the nicest watch accessory I have ever seen ! Maybe I'm the only one appreciating the work here, but at least they will have one customer :)

Beauty is very subjective...

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Enjoying the irony of this post. Wait...you are being ironic, aren't you?

d656

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
What a piece of crap. There are docks that look way better and offer more stability for one third of the price on Aliexpress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.