Review: Anker's Compact PowerPort Atom PD 2 Offers Up to 60W of Power for Charging Your Devices

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Anker in late April announced the launch of its latest power adapter for charging Apple devices, the PowerPort Atom PD 2. Anker's newest PowerPort offers two USB-C charging ports and up to 60W of power in an enclosure that's smaller than standard stock laptop chargers.

The PowerPort Atom PD 2 uses Gallium nitride or GaN, a new material that allows semiconductor components to be shrunk down, leading to smaller charging accessories. Anker has been updating its power adapter line with GaN, bringing more compact charging options that take up less space.

Design wise, the PowerPort Atom PD 2 is smaller than your standard 61W or 87W charger for the MacBook Pro, but it's not as small and compact as the lower power 30W PowerPort Atom PD 1. It measures in at 2.68 inches by 2.72 inches and it's just over an inch thick.

Comparatively, Apple's 61W USB-C Power Adapter is 2.85 by 2.85 inches, and it's about the same thickness, so you're not saving a lot of space with the PowerPort Atom PD 2, but as explained below, it's a lot more versatile.

It's made from a shiny white plastic material with a gray face, an Anker logo at the side, and a charging indicator to let you know when it's in use. At the back, there's a set of retractable prongs that you can fold up when the power adapter isn't in use to make it easier to carrying around.

There are two USB-C ports built into the PowerPort Atom PD 2, which none of Apple's chargers can boast. With two USB-C ports, you're not limited to charging one USB-C device at a time. There are no cables included, so you're going to need to supply your own.

With the Atom PD 2, you can charge a MacBook and an iPad Pro at the same time at full speed using USB-C to USB-C cables, or charge a MacBook or iPad Pro and fast charge an iPhone using a USB-C to Lightning cable. There's a maximum of 60W of power available, so it can charge a 13-inch MacBook Pro at normal charging speed, just like the standard 61W power adapter from Apple.

You could also potentially use this to charge a 15-inch MacBook Pro, though it would charge your machine more slowly than an 87W power adapter. Still, 60W is enough to keep your MacBook Pro going with a moderate work load.

When you're charging a higher watt device like the 13-inch MacBook Pro, you're not going to want to have another device charging at the same time to make sure all 60 watts are going to the MacBook Pro. If you plug in multiple devices, the power is split and managed between devices.

I don't have a 13-inch MacBook Pro, but the PowerPort Atom PD 2 was able to charge my MacBook at the appropriate speed and fast charge my iPhone XS Max at the same time, providing a 50 percent charge from near dead in approximately 30 minutes. It also worked well with my 15-inch MacBook Pro for my standard workload, which involves web usage, Photoshop and other image editing tools, writing apps, and other miscellaneous apps.

Like all Anker devices, the PowerPort Atom PD 2 uses high quality components and features UL certification to ensure its safety.

Bottom Line

Anker's charging $54.99 for the PowerPort Atom PD 2, while Apple charges $69 for its 61W USB-C Power Adapter, which makes the PowerPort Atom PD 2 the obvious choice if you need an extra power adapter. Not only is it more affordable, you also get two USB-C ports that can be used for charging a single device at the full 60W or two devices with the 60W of power split between them.

If you have multiple USB-C devices at this point or want to be able to fast charge your iPhone with a USB-C to Lightning cable, Anker's PowerPort Atom PD 2 is a good buy.

How to Buy

Anker's PowerPort Atom PD 2 can be purchased from Amazon for $54.99.

Note: Anker provided MacRumors with a PowerPort Atom PD 2 for the purpose of this review. No other compensation was received.

Article Link: Review: Anker's Compact PowerPort Atom PD 2 Offers Up to 60W of Power for Charging Your Devices

az431

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Not really an "obvious choice" if the two ports can't simultaneously charge a MacBook and an iOS device. Just plug the iOS device into the MacBook and save $55.

Reactions: ThaRuler

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Thanks for the breakdown on using different devices on this. It really makes me hopeful for their upcoming 100w version.

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California
Not really an "obvious choice" if the two ports can't simultaneously charge a MacBook and an iOS device. Just plug the iOS device into the MacBook and save $55.
That should probably say the obvious choice if you need an extra power adapter, which I've now added. Probably not worth the extra money if you've already got a 61W charger and don't need extra USB-C ports. Some people like to have multiples for work and office, or for charging in different locations.

You can certainly simultaneously charge a MacBook and an iOS device. The MacBook will charge at the full 30W and the iPhone will fast charge. You're just not going to be able to charge a 13-inch MacBook Pro at its full speed while also charging another device at the same time. If your battery is pretty full, though, and you're not doing something system intensive, you probably don't need the full 60W of power all the time for a MacBook Pro.

bsu4phd

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Possible to clarify the statement, "...uses high quality components," please? Was there a tear down?

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011

Anker in late April announced the launch of its latest power adapter for charging Apple devices, the PowerPort Atom PD 2. Anker's newest PowerPort offers two USB-C charging ports and up to 60W of power in an enclosure that's smaller than standard stock laptop chargers.

The PowerPort Atom PD 2 uses Gallium nitride or GaN, a new material that allows semiconductor components to be shrunk down, leading to smaller charging accessories. Anker has been updating its power adapter line with GaN, bringing more compact charging options that take up less space.

Design wise, the PowerPort Atom PD 2 is smaller than your standard 61W or 87W charger for the MacBook Pro, but it's not as small and compact as the lower power 30W PowerPort Atom PD 1. It measures in at 2.68 inches by 2.72 inches and it's just over an inch thick.

Comparatively, Apple's 61W USB-C Power Adapter is 2.85 by 2.85 inches, and it's about the same thickness, so you're not saving a lot of space with the PowerPort Atom PD 2, but as explained below, it's a lot more versatile.

It's made from a shiny white plastic material with a gray face, an Anker logo at the side, and a charging indicator to let you know when it's in use. At the back, there's a set of retractable prongs that you can fold up when the power adapter isn't in use to make it easier to carrying around.

There are two USB-C ports built into the PowerPort Atom PD 2, which none of Apple's chargers can boast. With two USB-C ports, you're not limited to charging one USB-C device at a time. There are no cables included, so you're going to need to supply your own.

With the Atom PD 2, you can charge a MacBook and an iPad Pro at the same time at full speed using USB-C to USB-C cables, or charge a MacBook or iPad Pro and fast charge an iPhone using a USB-C to Lightning cable. There's a maximum of 60W of power available, so it can charge a 13-inch MacBook Pro at normal charging speed, just like the standard 61W power adapter from Apple.

You could also potentially use this to charge a 15-inch MacBook Pro, though it would charge your machine more slowly than an 87W power adapter. Still, 60W is enough to keep your MacBook Pro going with a moderate work load.

When you're charging a higher watt device like the 13-inch MacBook Pro, you're not going to want to have another device charging at the same time to make sure all 60 watts are going to the MacBook Pro. If you plug in multiple devices, the power is split and managed between devices.

I don't have a 13-inch MacBook Pro, but the PowerPort Atom PD 2 was able to charge my MacBook at the appropriate speed and fast charge my iPhone XS Max at the same time, providing a 50 percent charge from near dead in approximately 30 minutes. It also worked well with my 15-inch MacBook Pro for my standard workload, which involves web usage, Photoshop and other image editing tools, writing apps, and other miscellaneous apps.

Like all Anker devices, the PowerPort Atom PD 2 uses high quality components and features UL certification to ensure its safety.

Bottom Line

Anker's charging $54.99 for the PowerPort Atom PD 2, while Apple charges $69 for its 61W USB-C Power Adapter, which makes the PowerPort Atom PD 2 the obvious choice if you need an extra power adapter. Not only is it more affordable, you also get two USB-C ports that can be used for charging a single device at the full 60W or two devices with the 60W of power split between them.

If you have multiple USB-C devices at this point or want to be able to fast charge your iPhone with a USB-C to Lightning cable, Anker's PowerPort Atom PD 2 is a good buy.

How to Buy

Anker's PowerPort Atom PD 2 can be purchased from Amazon for $54.99.

Article Link: Review: Anker's Compact PowerPort Atom PD 2 Offers Up to 60W of Power for Charging Your Devices

Will it actually charge using the power listed? I have the first Atom PD which is supposed to be 30W but my MacBook Pro uses a fifth of that at most. No idea why it refuses to actually use all 30W.

Pepe4life

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2018
People who are considering this should watch the review video on amazon.com for the Anker PD1, a guy said that charger ruined 2 of his devices.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Thanks for the breakdown on using different devices on this. It really makes me hopeful for their upcoming 100w version.
The 100w version has been out for a month or two. I bought it as soon as it came out. It ain’t small and doesn’t hang off the wall like these do, it has a cord that plugs in. I’ve charged my 15” MBP, my wife’s MacBook plus our XS and XS Max all simultaneously and it worked great.

Edit: just saw it’s out of stock on Amazon. Maybe they were having trouble keeping up with demand.

Last edited:

ESpen36

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
The 100w version went out of stock on Amazon almost immediately after it came out, and it hasn't returned (unlike the 30w version). I guess they underestimated demand.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2017
Useless without being able to properly charge a 15” MBP. As others have said just charge your devices through your Mac.

TheIntruder

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2008
Possible to clarify the statement, "...uses high quality components," please? Was there a tear down?
The few teardowns of Anker wall adapters I've come across have show that they're good quality, though no one is perfect.

But, before anyone takes that sentence to mean that all Anker adapters are UL-listed, don't.

This particular one may be, but most of them aren't. Some are TÜV certified. Not sure if any of them have ETL certification.

Unfortunately, the marketing of accessories like this can deceptively impliy that the more marks that are plastered on them, the safer they are.

But, each mark has specific, limited meaning. For something like the FCC mark, the only thing that covers is that it won't cause radio interference. It has jack to do with electrical safety. All the RoHS mark means is that it complies with the efforts to cut down on hazardous materials in its construction, like lead-free solder.

Some regional and country-specific marks may also appear, which may be compulsory for legal sale in those areas, but they're not necessarily the same as undergoing an optional certification process from a third-party, independent organization like the UL, especially when self-certification is involved (hello, 737MAX).

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
The 100w version has been out for a month or two. I bought it as soon as it came out. It ain’t small and doesn’t hang off the wall like these do, it has a cord that plugs in. I’ve charged my 15” MBP, my wife’s MacBook plus our XS and XS Max all simultaneously and it worked great.

Edit: just saw it’s out of stock on Amazon. Maybe they were having trouble keeping up with demand.
The 100w version went out of stock on Amazon almost immediately after it came out, and it hasn't returned (unlike the 30w version). I guess they underestimated demand.
I don't think this is the one I was referring to because I see no mention of GaN construction:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJC7J5X

d5aqoëp

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2016
When it comes to chargers, I buy original Apple chargers with my eyes closed. I know I am getting ripped off by Apple, but I trust Apple chargers tiny bit more. So far I have had terrible experience with Aukey and Tronsmart chargers. They have relatively low life. Anker does not sell in my country nor do they allow overseas shipping from amazon US store.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
When it comes to chargers, I buy original Apple chargers with my eyes closed. I know I am getting ripped off by Apple, but I trust Apple chargers tiny bit more. So far I have had terrible experience with Aukey and Tronsmart chargers. They have relatively low life. Anker does not sell in my country nor do they allow overseas shipping from amazon US store.
I get that, and that's a bummer that you can't get Anker.

JWD

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2012
What’s the weight difference between Apple and Anker? Smaller doesn’t mean lighter.

I’m happy with the Apple MBP adapter and using 1 of 4 USB-C ports to charge my iPhone. That way I don’t need a long iPhone cable, the longer the Anker cable the less luck I have had with longevity. I would only buy this if my Apple MBP power adapter failed or needed a backup.

vip007

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2006

I actually like the power adapters with cords much more. Yes, the ones without are more compact, but they can rarely stay on in outlets in public places or in aircraft—they’re just too heavy and keep falling out. Unless you use the UK power plug.

Satechi has one (75W Dual Type-C PD Travel Charger) with two USB A and two USB C ports and I absolutely love it. You should review that one.

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Anker makes really top-notch gear, and this seems like a worthy upgrade.

Sad that instead of making MagSafe a separate cable (that could be plugged into a charger like this), Apple axed it entirely. The only real flaw it had was the fact that if the cable broke, you had to buy a totally new adapter.

loybond

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Gallium nitride tech is pretty cool, and is what is allowing for progress in chargers, like with Ravpower's slim 45 watt charger, or Anker's small 30 watt PD 1.

My Anker multi-chargers have 5 ports (one of mine has 6) and can charge multiple devices @ 12 watts. I'd like to see something like that, but for USB-C. At least 4 ports, at least 45 watts each simultaneously. Yes, that's a lot of wattage, but that's what gallium nitride tech can potentially deliver.

This particular unit doesn't interest me that much, since you're ultimately getting 60 watts from a standard size brick. If it was 60 watts x 2, that'd be something. If it was smaller, that'd be interesting too.

The Anker PD 4 is what interests me... you get 2 USB-C ports (and 2 USB-A) ports with 100 watts total. It's pretty big and heavy though apparently.