Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boro22

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2023
That’s the thing. I am only using 1 5k monitor and the second one is a 1080p monitor.

The ts4 will work without compression?

That’s the thing. I am only using 1 5k monitor and the second one is a 1080p monitor.

Unclear. Technically it is not a limitation due to the strict technologies involved (TB4), but there is no good public information on exact throughputs with the TS4 and different use cases for the ports. When do they apply compression or not largely depends on how flexible their ports are for reserving throughput when utilized. You might want to reach out to CalDigit and ask. They might be able to tell you if you can get someone who is knowledgeable at that level within the organization.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

This will work perfectly fine on the TS4. You could even use 2 Apple Studio Displays on it, and DSC will not affect image quality in any perceptible way.

Boro22

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2023
This will work perfectly fine on the TS4. You could even use 2 Apple Studio Displays on it, and DSC will not affect image quality in any perceptible way.
Thanks and I assume the ts3+ won’t work?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks and I assume the ts3+ won’t work?
Correct. Caldigit publishes charts on each of their pages for these docks too, so you can see the other combinations that do work, and with which computers.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Seems like the dock is also having a discount on amazon for prime subscribers. Those in the market may want to act fast.

Reactions: ksj1
I have personally as well as experienced second hand the effects that devices who use DSC can have on not only the image quality but also the latency. Theoretically if DSC is implemented perfectly and under ideal conditions, it produces a result that is nearly identical to the original. However, the more data you try pushing through, depending on the hardware/software combination using DSC, the results are not always the theoretical maximum of DSC. I would stand by my original statement that if you NEED a Studio Display, as in your work actually requires that kind of quality, then chancing issues could cost you time/money and not worth the couple seconds of simply plugging in another cable or the OCD aspect. But I feel like many people don't actually have their livelihood hinging on the quality of the products produced based on their monitor selection. So for those people, no big deal :)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have personally as well as experienced second hand the effects that devices who use DSC can have on not only the image quality but also the latency. Theoretically if DSC is implemented perfectly and under ideal conditions, it produces a result that is nearly identical to the original. However, the more data you try pushing through, depending on the hardware/software combination using DSC, the results are not always the theoretical maximum of DSC. I would stand by my original statement that if you NEED a Studio Display, as in your work actually requires that kind of quality, then chancing issues could cost you time/money and not worth the couple seconds of simply plugging in another cable or the OCD aspect. But I feel like many people don't actually have their livelihood hinging on the quality of the products produced based on their monitor selection. So for those people, no big deal :)
A Studio Display is only 5k/60Hz, and with the 2nd display only being 1080p I am certain this will work perfectly well. It's far under the limits of dual 6k or high refresh rate displays.

Boro22

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2023
A Studio Display is only 5k/60Hz, and with the 2nd display only being 1080p I am certain this will work perfectly well. It's far under the limits of dual 6k or high refresh rate displays.

Thanks do you think a TS3+ will work though? As thats a lot cheaper

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks do you think a TS3+ will work though? As thats a lot cheaper
Take a look at the display capability charts on each product’s page at caldigit.com and it will answer all your questions.

Again, the "limits" depend on the performance and implementation of the available technologies. I don't want to jade anyone's perspective but my current TS3+ dock has been nothing but a nightmare, far underperforming compared to the maximum standards it COULD perform to. I have worked with their support staff, been sent replacements, etc.. but it appears that they just don't have the horsepower to actually run the dock the way I need it to. And I am only running two average quality 4K monitors for tool pallets, messaging windows, etc... I put up with it because I am not relying on it to run my main monitor that I use to make money. I thought maybe it would be fixed with the TS4, so I purchased it to run my main displays alongside the TS3. I finally returned that because of issues with lag and flicker while my coworker had legitimate issues with fuzziness. So again, what the specs say on paper and what the standards have for technical limits doesn't always translate into real world performance. People can use what they want, and I HOPE that others have a bette experience than me. I was simply pointing out some different scenarios that could happen and why it matters if you make money using this type of equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.