Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Let me preface this review by saying this is a sample provided to me by Cupert Technology, but I also backed this project.

To begin, the install was super simple. The adhesive is fantastic. Once I laid it down on the screen, the adhesive basically did all the work for me. I just had to press down on a couple of areas and it was all done quickly, with little effort. No bubbles at all. I would say it's as simple to install as any non edge-to edge protector. I was truly impressed.

image.jpg4_zpsgtyqquxq.jpg

The glass is curved and is full coverage. The glass is also super smooth and the clarity is fantastic. Touch screen sensitivity is perfect. It cleans up very easily as well. It's 0.20 mm thickness is only noticeable near the home button area. It's very smooth around the home button and doesn't add very much bulk at all.

image.jpg1_zpsg1ulpbby.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsleacsaw1.jpg

image.jpg2_zpstaqihzrb.jpg

I may have to adjust my install later, as I believe it's a little off. My Magpul Field case worked perfectly with the protector. My ZooGue had some trouble. I'm thinking the install is the issue with the ZooGue, since it's lip is a bit more aggressive than the Magpul's.

image.jpg2_zpspeiepaas.jpg

image.jpg1_zpswihfl0m5.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsi79skmet.jpg

I really don't have anything negative to say about this product. You can tell a lot of thought and effort went into creating a curved glass screen protector that's simple to install, is thin and just works. It's all very well done and pretty impressive.

If you're interested to learn more about CINDER, please check out the Cupert Technology website here: http://www.cupert.com

Please note: They are working to fulfill their initial crowd funding orders. I'm really not sure when it will be available to order on their website. If I should hear from them, I will update this thread.

Last edited:

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Let me preface this review by saying this is a sample provided to me by Cupert Technology, but I also backed this project.

To begin, the install was super simple. The adhesive is fantastic. Once I laid it down on the screen, the adhesive basically did all the work for me. I just had to press down on a couple of areas and it was all done quickly, with little effort. No bubbles at all. I would say it's as simple to install as any non edge-to edge protector. I was truly impressed.

image.jpg4_zpsgtyqquxq.jpg

The glass is curved and is full coverage. The glass is also super smooth and the clarity is fantastic. Touch screen sensitivity is perfect. It cleans up very easily as well. It's 0.20 mm thickness is only noticeable near the home button area. It's very smooth around the home button and doesn't add very much bulk at all.

image.jpg1_zpsg1ulpbby.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsleacsaw1.jpg

image.jpg2_zpstaqihzrb.jpg

I may have to adjust my install later, as I believe it's a little off. My Magpul Field case worked perfectly with the protector. My ZooGue had some trouble. I'm thinking the install is the issue with the ZooGue, since it's lip is a bit more aggressive than the Magpul's.

image.jpg2_zpspeiepaas.jpg

image.jpg1_zpswihfl0m5.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsi79skmet.jpg

I really don't have anything negative to say about this product. You can tell a lot of thought and effort went into creating a curved glass screen protector that's simple to install, is thin and just works. It's all very well done and pretty impressive.

If you're interested to learn more about CINDER, please check out the Cupert Technology website here: http://www.cupert.com

Please note: They are working to fulfill their initial crowd funding orders. I'm really not sure when it will be available to order on their website. If I should hear from them, I will update this thread.
Excellent review! I just got back from vacation, but I should have a Cinder review sample waiting for me in my mailbox today. I'll post my impressions ASAP.

Kristin

Reactions: deb90 and scjr

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Excellent review! I just got back from vacation, but I should have a Cinder review sample waiting for me in my mailbox today. I'll post my impressions ASAP.

Kristin
Ok, well, unfortunately they sent me out an iPhone 6 version rather than a 6 Plus version, and the only owner of an iPhone 6 in my household--my daughter--is unwilling to remove her Thule Atmos X4 to test the Cinder. They said they'll send me out a 6 Plus version, but obviously it will be a bit of a wait. Sigh.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ok, well, unfortunately they sent me out an iPhone 6 version rather than a 6 Plus version, and the only owner of an iPhone 6 in my household--my daughter--is unwilling to remove her Thule Atmos X4 to test the Cinder. They said they'll send me out a 6 Plus version, but obviously it will be a bit of a wait. Sigh.

Jesus, where are they sending it from if it is going to take a while? If they are going to start deliveries early next week they must have one to send overnight to you.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Jesus, where are they sending it from if it is going to take a while? If they are going to start deliveries early next week they must have one to send overnight to you.
Well, it may be that they are having them shipped out directly by the manufacturer, rather than to them first. I really don't know. The 'bit of a wait' comment is from me, not them. If I were in their shoes, I would try to get samples out to reviewers ASAP, so hopefully that is what they are trying to do.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
@scjr

The protector looks quite a bit off around the home button. Hope this is not the case for all the protectors.

Why did you not try to adjust it yet?

scjr

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
@scjr

The protector looks quite a bit off around the home button. Hope this is not the case for all the protectors.

Why did you not try to adjust it yet?

Yes, like mentioned in review. The angle of the pic makes it look worse. I adjusted it later and it was fine.

I'm not the greatest at installs. Haha

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Yes, like mentioned in review. The angle of the pic makes it look worse. I adjusted it later and it was fine.

I think you did a good job--it can be very difficult to get screen protectors centered perfectly.

When you adjusted it later, did that help it work with the Zoogue case?

Kristin

Reactions: scjr

scjr

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
I think you did a good job--it can be very difficult to get screen protectors centered perfectly.

When you adjusted it later, did that help it work with the Zoogue case?

Kristin

Thanks!

It worked with the ZooGue, but seemed tight around the edges. If that make any sense?

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Thanks!

It worked with the ZooGue, but seemed tight around the edges. If that make any sense?
I think so. Hey, as long as it isn't causing lifting, I think you are golden. It seems to me that certain styles of cases hit edge to edge screen protectors at exactly the wrong spot and always cause edge lift. I haven't been able to use Tech21 cases with any edge to edge screen protector I've tested--they hit at just the wrong spot. Not sure whether Tech21 cases would work with Cinder as the only Cinder I've tested was on my daughter's 6, and she doesn't have a Tech21 case. It did fit with her Magpul and her Thule Atmos X3, however.

Kristin

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008

Would you mind taking new close up pictures directly above the homebutton (center of the camera) and as well from the speakerphone/sensors (center of the camera). Thanks in advance!

scjr

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
This is a scam. No product shipped.

How so? Did you back the project and haven't received a shipping notification?

You'll have to be more detailed than, this is a scam.

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA
How so? Did you back the project and haven't received a shipping notification?

You'll have to be more detailed than, this is a scam.
Ordered 7/7/15 and have only been given excuses why it's not ready for shipment. And no, no shipping number yet.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Ordered 7/7/15 and have only been given excuses why it's not ready for shipment. And no, no shipping number yet.
Are you mixing this up with Znaps ;)?

There have been a few samples sent out. Many people received shipping numbers, some did not. If you don't have a shipping nr. contact cupert at sales@cupert.com.

EMS is used for shipping, details are supposed to show after 48 hours.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013

By all accounts, in the other thread, they're starting to ship orders.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
@scjr

Could you messure the thickness of the protector with a caliper if possible?
Thank you

@frifra

Unfortunately, I have no calipers to measure them.

I was told my samples were .20 mm and the released glass was going to be .18 mm. He told me they improved the release over my samples. The samples were pretty darn good, as is. I haven't touched the final release, so I'm strictly going by what he told me.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Yes it is, I have a Cinder on my iPhone 6s with an apple leather case right now.

2 questions for u:

1. Do you have the black or white cinder?
2. Was the protective film in the back clear to allow you to align it with the phone before peeling it off?

I have a feeling the hinge method will not work because you cant align it first

Spine Doc

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
2 questions for u:

1. Do you have the black or white cinder?
2. Was the protective film in the back clear to allow you to align it with the phone before peeling it off?

I have a feeling the hinge method will not work because you cant align it first

I have the black Cinder and can tell you the hinge method will not work because the backing is bigger than the actual Cinder and it is solid black (in color and material) so no way to see the alignment with speaker and home button.

Also this back is in no way similar to the flimsy, easy to peel off we are used to. Its more of a hard protective support for the Cinder than a film.

Reactions: 6thDAY
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.