Review: Customize Your Apple Watch's Digital Crown and Side Button With WatchDots

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Jun 16, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Beyond casing material and band, there are no other obvious customization options for the Apple Watch, but one product is aiming to change that. WatchDots are small, colorful vinyl stickers that change the look of the Apple Watch's Digital Crown and side button.

WatchDots come in six colors and were conceived as a way for Apple Watch Sport owners to match their Digital Crowns to their bands, mimicking the colored Digital Crowns on some of the gold Edition Apple Watches. Colors mainly match the Sport bands, in black, white, blue, pink, and green, but there's also a red option to mimic Tim Cook's own Apple Watch, which has a red Digital Crown.

[​IMG]

I have a stainless steel Apple Watch with a white Sport Band, so I ordered the matching white WatchDots to give them a try (I also ordered pink, but those are backordered). It's hard to wax poetic about a set of nondescript vinyl stickers, but I like the WatchDots. They tie the look of the band to the look of the Apple Watch, and they've also drawn a lot of notice -- not from the general public, but from other Apple Watch owners.

[​IMG]

WatchDots cost $9.99, which is a bit expensive given their size in relation to a vinyl sticker you might get for your iPhone or MacBook. For that price, you get three sets of dots in your chosen color (with 3 dots for the Digital Crown and three dots for the side button), along with a bonus set in another color (mine was black).

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Customize Your Apple Watch's Digital Crown and Side Button With WatchDots

2. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

A) not for $9.99
    B) i need to see higher resolution photographs to even consider something like this. i need to see exactly how these look as if my eyeball were practically up on it so i can decide if these look as "cheap" as i feel like they're going to.

3. AngerDanger, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I'm not able to interpret this tagline as anything but innuendo—I mean, these are basically Pasties for watches:

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 3.02.01 PM.png

4. adamjackson macrumors 68000

5. Alenore macrumors 6502

Not "we", but MacRumors. and I don't see the problem considering this product was shown before and people weren't sure it'd look good or anything. Now, people can decide a bit better.

6. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

I'm trying not to be rude, but doesn't that cheapen the look of the watch?

The white sport band is part of it, but that looks like a $10 watch from a market stall..

7. UnfetteredMind macrumors 6502

UnfetteredMind

We can say anything we want as long as we preface it with something like, "I don't mean to be rude, but ...," right?

I don't mean to be rude, but that looks [​IMG]

8. jephrey macrumors regular

jephrey

It's only my opinion, but this is laughable... Next will be themed Hello Kitty stickers. I've never faulted macrumors for reviewing a product until now. This is like a review for a $1 phone case from the dollar store. This deserves 0 attention. I'm surprised there's not a drawing.

I'll take some jewel stickers out of my daughter's bracelet set and stick them to the crown so it's bedazzled.

:(

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Don't forget to have skin tone modifiers.

10. ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

Yep - this is Apple's target demographic. The few people who want to "customize" their classic Apple watch design with vinyl stickers.

11. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Look horrid. And $10 for a couple stickers barely bigger than the head of a pencil?

I suppose a sucker is born every minute.

12. Dayv macrumors 6502

13. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Customizing is HUGE in Asia. They buy old Macs (the original iBooks are still huge) and customize the heck out of them. I'm talking fur and all kinds of weird stuff. The original book, The Cult Of Mac, covered this a decent bit and showed some interesting examples.

14. Ed217 macrumors 6502

And for an extra 9.99 the firm will have someone call you and say "WOW WOW WOW"...

Each feature seems of equal value.

15. h00ligan macrumors 68030

That's a ridiculous price point for $.01 of sticker. Fortunately they'll quickly be lit in their place by $1 knockoffs from China - where these are likely printed anyway. And for once a company deserves it.

$10 for the equivalent of hole punch leftovers. Please.

16. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

$10!? I work in vinyl! I could make those for a nickel of product. I should just making them for $5 to cover the time of making them and shipping them still plenty of profit. $10 is ludicrous

17. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I like the idea but not these guys. $10 for a sticker that doesn't even cover the crown completely? Who needs three sets of stickers for their watch? And if they had to make three sets, why not vary the size a bit?

I'll be looking forward to the Chinese knock-offs.

18. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

This is one of those times I wonder if humanity has a future after all if it can create things like this

19. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

I kind of feel a little embarrassed for MR right now.

20. McScooby macrumors 6502a

Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should, but with all the tat bazaar's out there, credit due if someone ends up making a wad from this!

21. groovyd Suspended

groovyd

Life is indeed good when this is what you find yourself saving up for. This is how you know you have finally made it.

22. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

These are so going on my Edition Watch.

23. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

You know, this may not be for everybody, but I don't fault MR for spending time doing a good review. Yeah, it'd be far cheaper to find a piece of vinyl and cut it yourself, but then you'd have to figure out how to get the cuts right. These guys have already done the tooling to get the sizes right, so I don't begrudge them the ability to sell to those who may be interested. I do feel that $10 might be a bit much - but then again those that want them will get them and those who don't won't.

24. h00ligan macrumors 68030

You know I'd like to revise my earlier opinion. The Chinese knockoffs won't even be charged for they will be add-ons when you buy a watch band adapter

25. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Next time you get a free sticker from anywhere, get your hole punch, BOOM! $9.99 saved!