Review: Dexim EL Charge/Sync Cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TWO2SEVEN, Feb 2, 2012.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/31/dexim-visible-green-iphone-cable-makes-charging-more-visible/

I stopped by Best Buy and picked one of these up. My location (Plano, TX) had the black/purple and white/blue. I picked up the white and blue. The cable was $20.99 (kind of an odd price) while the Dynex (Best Buy generic) was $19.99.

The cable works just as described. The "current" flows from the power source toward the iDevice. I tried it with both my iPad and iPhone 4, both were at different levels of charge. The speed of the lights does change with charge level. The lower the battery level, the faster the chase. When plugging your device in or unplugging it, it will take the lights a few minutes to react.

In the picture the cable looked to be a round, clear casing with the lights in the middle. The cable is actually flat, similar to speaker wire. The surface of the cable is split into thirds. White (or black) on the sides with the lights in the middle. The plug ends match the wire color, white or black.

One thing to note, the cable is just slightly shorter than the Apple cable.

[​IMG]

To sum it up, since its the same price as other third party cables, it seems to be a good buy. If you happen to like cool gadgets, and since you are here you probably do, it's worth picking up. It's always nice to have an extra cable around. I will most likely take this one to work so I can enjoy it all day haha.

[​IMG]

2. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

If they made headphones that glow like that it would be pretty sick! :D

3. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Agreed!

4. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea BB carried these. Any ideas if they also had the adapter to plug into the wall?

Also, do you find yourself handling the cable delicately due to the fear of breaking it? I read a couple of reviews (think it was amazon) that said theirs broke in their bag.

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

6. mustang43 macrumors newbie

7. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I did not see any wall adapters of the same brand. However, since is just a standard USB it should work with any adapter you have. I tried it with both the iPhone and iPad adapter without any problems.

I just got it last night, but I don't see any problems with the quality. In fact, I've had a few Apple cables come apart where the dock connector meets the cable. This one looks a little more sturdy.

8. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

The dimensions of the plug are the same as the Apple cable, except it is longer. Looks like it should, but I can't say for sure since I don't have the bumper.

No problem! I've lurked here for a year or so, decided I should start contributing haha.

9. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

I disagree. The dimensions on my cable aren't the same and it will not stay firmly connected when plugged into my phone while in a magpul case. The slightest movement and it disconnects. I have the black/blue cable from bestbuy.

10. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

11. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

I'll be picking the black/blue one at BB after work today. I have the apple bumper, and element vapor4 case i'll try it with and report back if there are any problems. Thanks OP for posting.

12. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Feel free to add any observations or issues you may have.

Thank you!

13. Legios macrumors regular

Yeah I too picked one up and left some impressions in the other threads. I didnt have any problems with the "flow" stopping after unplugging, its almost instant. The flow indicators slow way down after reaching full charge and this was on a 3 year old iphone 3g with well used battery. I want to see if there is a difference in brightness between the black and white cables.

14. TWO2SEVEN, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

After mine was fully charged the light turned off after a few mins.

15. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

I too would like to know if the white is brighter

16. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't see why it would be. Probably a visual perception thing.

Will be picking up one of these cables ASAP!

17. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

Just got back from BB with the black/blue cable ($19.99) and this thing is sweet!

It does not work with the Element Vapor4 case but it does work with the apple bumper. The blue is pretty bright and looks great. Phone is charging right now and lights are moving! Pretty happy with the purchase.

Attached Files: