Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Doc Artisan sent me out a Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case for my 6 Plus last week and I'm just overwhelmingly impressed. The leather is extremely nice--it is a distressed leather, so it shows little scratches and marks with use, but it also has a distinctly non-slippery texture which is perfect for a phone case. It feels very secure and grippy in your hand. For those of you who are not familiar with this case, it is a two part case--an outer wallet section, the right side of which has a magnetized backing where you can attach the inner phone case part of the wallet. The inner phone case is made of polycarbonate with a soft-touch finish on the inside of the case and on the sides, and the outer back side of the inner case has a leather backing sewn on to it which matches the leather of the outer wallet case. It looks quite attractive, actually, and has a nice feel in the hand. There are no magnets in the inner phone case--just a hidden metal backing somewhere which allows it to attach firmly to the outer wallet case.
Doc Artisan Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case--Inner Phone Case Back Top View.jpg
Doc Artisan Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case--Inner Phone Case Front Bottom View.jpg

The outer wallet case has slots for 4 cards and two additional slide pockets for cash or receipts. If you load all the card slots up and put stuff in the pockets, the wallet will still close, but it looks fuller and perhaps less elegant in its closed position. However, this is an issue with all wallet cases I have reviewed. The Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case has an elastic strap which you can use to keep the wallet closed if you wish. It works fine. If you don't want to use it, it just lies flat against the back of the wallet case.
doc artisan sport leather combo case thumbnail.jpg
Doc Artisan Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case: Closed View.jpg
Doc Artisan Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case--Open Wallet with Cards.jpg

Overall, this is just a great wallet case. The leather is really fine quality, the magnets are so strong that unless you actively pull the two pieces apart, they are not going to detach. You can shake it upside down and the wallet part won't fall out--it's impressive.
The only con I see with this wallet case is that it is a bit heavier than some due to the thick leather and magnets/metal used in the construction of the case. However, I see this as a pretty minor issue--it's a great case. At $80, it is not inexpensive, but it is a high quality item, and I love the fact that the inner phone case can be used separately from the outer wallet part.

Here's a link to my YouTube review, for those who are interested:

http://youtu.be/Hmh8R87mBnA

Thanks!

Reactions: samy.basta

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Nice review. For me, I'd find it clumsy to remove the two parts to take a photograph. And would probably then lose the wallet part, :)

Looks solid otherwise.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
As a leather wallet case, it is quite different than a case like the Kavaj Dallas. It is definitely heavier, and the photography issue you mention is quite real. However, separating the wallet case and the inner phone case is easy (and kind of fun, if you like magnets), so it's not a big issue for me.

Besides the great magnets and the separability, which I really enjoy, the best thing about this case for me is the build construction. It feels incredibly well made and very heavy duty for a leather wallet case. The leather on it is outstanding. The Kavaj cases also have very nice leather, but it has a more delicate feel. It's kind of like comparing fancy leather dress shoes (Kavaj) and expensive leather hiking boots (Doc Artisan)--that's how it feels to me, anyway.

Kristin

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Updated Doc Artisan Cases Avail for Pre-Order

Hi everyone. For anyone who is interested in the new version of the Doc Artisan cases for the 6 and 6 Plus, they are now available for pre-order, shipping 5/1. The new version has a fully leather inner case and looks a bit more polished than the sport version that I reviewed. Great cases and nice company:

http://www.dockartisan.com/collecti...t-combo-case-iphone-6-plus?variant=1257810124

http://www.dockartisan.com/collecti...-leather-wallet-combo-case?variant=1257475180

Kristin

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I am also in contact with Doc Artisan and should be getting a sample to review in the near future. If their previous sport wallet combo case is anything to go by, their new stuff should be great!

Reactions: Orlandorealtor

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
It looks nice and the leather fine, but loaded up with cards and such it's too large for my tastes. Even unloaded it's a bit bulky.

In a review I'd be curious if the magnet affects the iPhone compass ( on the app and in maps).

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I just ordered the Sport Wallet for my 6 plus. I like how easy it is to detach the phone from the wallet part, and the string to hold it closed was another plus over competition like the BookBook. My only concerns are how easy is it to slide into my pocket, and whether or not the flash cutout is sufficient to take good flash-assisted pictures.

I'll post my findings back here in a few weeks after I've received the case.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
Do you feel it is heavy? Just got the new SPORT Wallet in and it seems very heavy? Msgnets?
Thanks for the code, it still works and I just saved about $24 on the 6s+ sport wallet in vintage brown.

Will be sure to post in this thread once I receive it and my phone comes in on the 25th.

Orlandorealtor

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
winter garden,fl
Thanks for the code, it still works and I just saved about $24 on the 6s+ sport wallet in vintage brown.

Will be sure to post in this thread once I receive it and my phone comes in on the 25th.
I really like the sport wallet now. Not heavy as I felt after using. Quality made and very functional!

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I really like the sport wallet now. Not heavy as I felt after using. Quality made and very functional!
So glad to hear that it is working out for you. Of all the cases I've reviewed, the Doc Artisan ones are among my absolute favorites. Such nice quality!!

Kristin

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Yes I agree Kristin, I do not carry a wallet anymore :)
Oh, I still carry a wallet--I'm way too much of a pack rat to fit all my stuff into even a nicely sized wallet case such as the Doc Artisan. But I love the case :)

riseboi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Miami Beach
Is there difference in thickness between the Sport case and the other Leather case?

I prefer the removable case on the leather wallet case over the one on the the sport case, but I like the ID pocket and elastic band on the sport. Hmmm, which one to get....

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Is there difference in thickness between the Sport case and the other Leather case?

I prefer the removable case on the leather wallet case over the one on the the sport case, but I like the ID pocket and elastic band on the sport. Hmmm, which one to get....
They are about the same thickness. I think the Artisan Leather one may be a little bit thinner. The inner shell cases are basically interchangeable with the different wallet cases, and I know you can simply buy the inner shell case separately (but that is going to be rather expensive, as the Artisan shell case for the 6(s) Plus is $35). Alternatively, you could contact the folks at Doc Artisan and see if they would be willing to sell you a combination of the two cases for a little bit extra (sport wallet with artisan inner shell). No idea if that would work, but it's a very responsive small business, so they might be able to help you out. Good luck!

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
Doc Artisan sent me out a Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case for my 6 Plus last week and I'm just overwhelmingly impressed. The leather is extremely nice--it is a distressed leather, so it shows little scratches and marks with use, but it also has a distinctly non-slippery texture which is perfect for a phone case. It feels very secure and grippy in your hand. For those of you who are not familiar with this case, it is a two part case--an outer wallet section, the right side of which has a magnetized backing where you can attach the inner phone case part of the wallet. The inner phone case is made of polycarbonate with a soft-touch finish on the inside of the case and on the sides, and the outer back side of the inner case has a leather backing sewn on to it which matches the leather of the outer wallet case. It looks quite attractive, actually, and has a nice feel in the hand. There are no magnets in the inner phone case--just a hidden metal backing somewhere which allows it to attach firmly to the outer wallet case.
View attachment 532732
View attachment 532733

The outer wallet case has slots for 4 cards and two additional slide pockets for cash or receipts. If you load all the card slots up and put stuff in the pockets, the wallet will still close, but it looks fuller and perhaps less elegant in its closed position. However, this is an issue with all wallet cases I have reviewed. The Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case has an elastic strap which you can use to keep the wallet closed if you wish. It works fine. If you don't want to use it, it just lies flat against the back of the wallet case.
View attachment 532736
View attachment 532735
View attachment 532734

Overall, this is just a great wallet case. The leather is really fine quality, the magnets are so strong that unless you actively pull the two pieces apart, they are not going to detach. You can shake it upside down and the wallet part won't fall out--it's impressive.
The only con I see with this wallet case is that it is a bit heavier than some due to the thick leather and magnets/metal used in the construction of the case. However, I see this as a pretty minor issue--it's a great case. At $80, it is not inexpensive, but it is a high quality item, and I love the fact that the inner phone case can be used separately from the outer wallet part.

Here's a link to my YouTube review, for those who are interested:

Thanks!

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
Ok I have another question. I want the 6 plus wallet (non sport) and noticed that the leather is listed as just brown leather but the sport version is listed as vintage brown leather. I think you one you reviewed is vintage brown? I like that best. I'm worried the "brown" leather one is not the same. Any idea?

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Ok I have another question. I want the 6 plus wallet (non sport) and noticed that the leather is listed as just brown leather but the sport version is listed as vintage brown leather. I think you one you reviewed is vintage brown? I like that best. I'm worried the "brown" leather one is not the same. Any idea?
Well, keep in mind that there are various versions of the sport wallet out there--the one I reviewed in the initial post in this thread was indeed a vintage brown color, but that version of the sport wallet is no longer available. The second version of the sport wallet that I reviewed was quite different (it's the one with the stand), and I believe the color of the leather was something like pebbled tan. There is even a third version of the sport wallet coming out (with a magnetic wallet closure), but it is still on pre-order, I believe. The leather on the regular, non-sport, version of the wallet seems a bit more refined, less sporty. I reviewed the regular wallet in tan and was quite impressed. Hope this helps. They are working with a natural product, so i think there is quite a bit of variation in the colors/textures of the final product.

Reactions: DallasManic

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
Well, keep in mind that there are various versions of the sport wallet out there--the one I reviewed in the initial post in this thread was indeed a vintage brown color, but that version of the sport wallet is no longer available. The second version of the sport wallet that I reviewed was quite different (it's the one with the stand), and I believe the color of the leather was something like pebbled tan. There is even a third version of the sport wallet coming out (with a magnetic wallet closure), but it is still on pre-order, I believe. The leather on the regular, non-sport, version of the wallet seems a bit more refined, less sporty. I reviewed the regular wallet in tan and was quite impressed. Hope this helps. They are working with a natural product, so i think there is quite a bit of variation in the colors/textures of the final product.
Well I opted for the tan. Hopefully I'll like it. FYI if you check their Twitter page they have a 35% off code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.