[Review] EQu - a great parametric EQ for the iDevice

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by shigzeo, Dec 22, 2010.

1. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

This is paraphrased from my EQu review at TMA.
    I've used iPod in various forms since 2007 and disliked each for the same reason: lack of real EQ. Sometime this year, Equalizer was released and offered parametric EQ options for newer iDevices - older ones like my iPod touch 2G couldn't process fast enough, so they got shunted with fewer frequency band support and lower performance.

Still, Equalizer is a very nice app, if quixotically designed. EQu, on the other hand, is much more 'touch friendly' - you slide frequencies up and down rather than access EQ menus to change Q, frequency, and gain.

Obviously, it isn't as easy to be accurate as it is with Equalizer, but I don't think any one should expect the iDevice, which lacks dedicated EQ circuitry, to be anything truly accurate/powerful for emulated equalising.

Still, EQu performs very well. The entire signal is gained low, but not compressed. You won't get pitch changes or squashed dynamics as gain and EQ are independent of each other.

I've performed RMAA tests of this to make sure. As long as you expect the iPod/iPhone/iPad to outperform OTHER mass produced players and EQ's, you'll love EQu.

Again, I recommend it - it is 3$ well spent and the dev, elephantcandy, seems well dedicated to getting things 'right'.

Again, this is paraphrased from my EQu review at TMA.

2. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Bump for this. I just downloaded this app and I was messing with it and it really does work. Just a few concerns, Will this harm the iPhone or the headphones? Will it be safer buying a portable amp?