Review: Ghost Armor for the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jammerz, Dec 2, 2012.

1. jammerz macrumors regular

I bought the GA firstly because I damaged my screen during protection with ZAGG and wanted to try another screen protector. I'm a big fan of wet applications and after looking at some reviews online, I saw that the GA could potentially cover the damage on my screen. I went to the mall and got it applied at a kiosk, first the screen only to test out the product. I was very happy with the results. If you can see in the pictures there are three imperfections in the screen, but they are much more prominent if GA wasn't there. It doesn't have that orange peel look like ZAGG has, which is a plus. The screen is very clear and vibrant. It does get greasy and has a fingerprint issue though.

So after I was satisfied with the front I bought the matte sides and back. From the pics and ones that I saw it looked like a cool option. I wasn't disappointed. It adds a slight grip, and I have no problem with fingerprints on these pieces. If you see in the pictures, there is a little of a lifting issue on my phone particularly where the aluminum meets the clear finish on the back. I have seen other iP5s with GA and they don't have this issue, so I guess I must be special.

I really like the warranty that GA offers. I bought the full body for a total of $40 including install. I had the GA on with the Spigen Hybrid EX Metal bumper, which lifted up the matte backing. They have a 7 day grace period where if you are not at all satisfied you are warranted for a full refund. It was after this period, and I wanted a new backing. They said I could either have them apply it at a $5 charge or I could do it myself. I opted to do it myself given my experience with ZAGG cases in the past. It is very convenient to replace my screens anytime I want by going to a kiosk rather than having to go through a mailing process.

Overall I am very happy with the product and I would recommend it!

SUMMARY:
    PROS:
    1. Screen is crystal clear and vibrant.
    2. Covers up previous damage on the phone.
    3. Matte finish has no problems with fingerprinting.
    4. Warranty process is unparalleled.

CONS:
    1. Screen protector has issues with fingerprinting.
    2. If you don't wait the 48h before you put it in a case or a pocket, you might get some lint attached to the edges of the protectors. Patients is a virtue!

Attached Files:

2. jammerz thread starter macrumors regular

Front

Attached Files:

3. jammerz thread starter macrumors regular

Matte back

Attached Files:

4. jammerz thread starter macrumors regular

Matte sides

Attached Files:

5. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

$40!!!!???? The screen looks extremely cloudy and they did a terrible installation on the side pieces. They are not centered at all near the volume buttons. I'd be asking for a re install and new screen film as that one didn't dry correctly. JMO

6. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Very helpful review! Does the back have a tacky feeling? Or is it smooth like a dry apply screen protector?

7. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Those are definitely reflections haha. Either way, I hate how ghost armor and zagg products feel. just use the product without a screen protector if you're gonna put a condom-feeling thing on it.

8. JNGold, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

The clouding dissipates after 24 hours. I had mine installed yesterday and looks great. I have been a GA fan ever since I had my 4/s, iPad 1, and now 5 and iPad 3. I also had my wife's iPad mini done with front and back protectors.

I have never been a screen protector fan and have tried SGP (the best feeling), Skinomi, Zagg, etc. I always try the self installation route and either get it perfect or wind up screwing it up because of a piece of dust or a cock-eyed installation. I absolutely love the matte back that GA has and used it on the back of my 4s and now the 5. Since I really happy with my Caze ThinEdge matte bumper style case, I am going with a protector because I want to be able to put the phone face down at times (meetings, etc) and the Caze doesn't have a lay-on-table lip.

Attached Files:

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

If only they sold the back separately. :(

10. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Um, they do. :D

11. jammerz thread starter macrumors regular

Ya that's the reflection of a Chandelier in the screen. It's pristine, no cloudiness or anything. Agreed that the sides aren't done to perfection, but because I wanted it for protection and I don't usually use the phone without a case or bumper, it doesn't really concern me.

JNGold, I'm happy that you replied to this thread. It was your high quality review that inspired me to join and contribute to macrumors. You also convinced me to buy the caze bumper after I saw your high def pics. THANK YOU!

----------

The matte back and sidings are smooth and wonderful RichardC300! Highly recommend it.

12. buddybd macrumors 6502

How is someone supposed to wait 48 hours before putting it in a pocket lol. I find overnight wait periods annoying, 48 hours is out of the question.

With that said, those shots in no way justify a $40 price tag.

13. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

It's really not that bad. I put mine in a pocket right away, YMMV. If you don't want to spend 40 bucks for full body protection (front, back, and sides), and professional installation, then don't spend the money. Ghost Armor's installation process (which includes a wet and heat dry process), is worth the price alone and well worth it if you don't want to be bothered dealing with the installation process yourself and possibly screwing it up. Also, the warrantee alone is one the best in business. For example, let's say you get a new device that your existing skin fits with, the 5 buck re-installation is worth the prices for a pro installation. I have done that with my iPad 2 to iPad 3. Well worth it.

14. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

That is surely not a pro installation in my honest opinion. A wet installation allows for movement of the pieces thus a perfect installation should be easily achievable.

There are many companies making full body kits and this one is definitely not the only product.

15. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

So the installer did a job that is a little off so that means everyone that has it done gets the same service? The OP doesn't seam to mind his install. One person's install has nothing to do with the quality of the product.

I don't think anyone is saying that there aren't other products out there but the services the kiosks offer, the quality, and the very liberal warrantee of the product and service make it a good choice amongst some of the other offerings out there.

16. jammerz thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I agreed with you before, I said that the install was a little off, but again, I cover the sides with a bumper either way. It's not something that anyone sees, and looking at it in real life it doesn't look that bad at all.

The major advantage to GA is that you don't have to mail back in your old product to get a warranty replacement, leaving your precious iPhone unprotected while your replacement is in the mail. You can drop off the old product and get a brand new one at a kiosk!

Fortunately for me there is a kiosk 10 mins away, and it is quite convenient to replace if need be.