(Review/How to) Belfan Hdmi Adapter for 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Willdta, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Willdta macrumors member

Willdta

hey guys this is going to be a review and how to with a cool little adapter for the Imac and apple displays.now this converter is nothing new but what makes it special is the price.while other converters that allow users to connect HDMI sources to your imac for about 100 to 250 bucks.this will do it for 39.99!.not this converters not perfect and i will explain why in the review but lets go ahead and start.

first things first lets do a little unboxing..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now heres the provided 3ft Hdmi Cable
    [​IMG]

and heres the minidisplay-port to display-port out cable.
    [​IMG]

and of course heres the power supply and the device itself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

okay not that we got it all unboxed lets go ahead and connect it.
    first things first we need to connect the power supply to the device.
    [​IMG]

now we need to connect it to the source device.in this case its an xbox 360.of course any HDMI source will work.
    [​IMG]

now we connect the device itself to the imac or apple display via the displayport cable.
    [​IMG]

now at this point the screen should automatically switch over to the xbox but if it dosent use the keyboard shortcut
    command +f2.
    [​IMG]

and you should be good to go;)
    [​IMG]

now the xbox should auto adjust its scale to 720p but many devices will not so make sure its set to 720p and not 1080p since the imac cant handle that with any converter.
    [​IMG]

Review.
    now this adapter does have some faults one is that it requires its own power supply.i actually don't mind this but some people would rather it be powered via usb cable.another thing i wished it had was multiple inputs so i could switch between inputs easily.other than that the converter is very well built and looks rather nice.its small and can be neatly tucked away some where.the video quality is great for 720p if your a few feet away from the screen it looks amazing.theres no lag and i cant see any visual defects.i did notice that switching to higher end cables that i had laying around made the picture even better.i really recommend this to anyone who dont want to spend to much cash.its is only 39.99 on eBay but get them fast because its not an unlimited supply!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...873269&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1736wt_952

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Thanks for the review. Bear in mind, the Atlona does 1080p, though you say that no adapter does 1080p...

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I didn't think any could, because from what I understand, the iMac won't accept a 1080p signal. Could be wrong there though.

4. Willdta thread starter macrumors member

Willdta

actually although it supports it,the imac wont display it,its a problem with the imac not the converters

5. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

The iMac will not accept 1080p but will accept 1440p. The Atlona takes a 1080p source and upconverts it to 1440p.

But hey, let's not threadjack. This looks to be the new best value for 720p converters for the iMac.

6. Willdta thread starter macrumors member

Willdta

good point its deffiently worth the money,i havent had any problems with it

7. maw4bc macrumors regular

Could this be used to connect my ATT UVERSE box to my ACD?

8. dr Dunkel macrumors regular

Why don't Apple use the same standard as the rest of the business?

9. DustyF macrumors newbie

Sorry for the bump but I have a couple of questions on this...

I previously bought a Kanex XD and returned it because I couldn't bear the quality. It displayed terrible pixels and the picture looked washed out, is this how the Balfan is? According to the pics the text looks crisp and clear. I just ordered the Atlona HD620 which is supposed to be good but I'd rather spend 150 bucks less if I can get a good picture with the belfan.

10. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

11. kingofwizard macrumors newbie

if the game was originally made in 720p, no need to upscale for 1080p...there is no big difference.