[Review + HQ Pics] Linear Ex Slim

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ThunderApple, Dec 8, 2012.

1. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

With the Holidays coming up, it seems Spigen is rolling out a new product every week. With their Neo Hybrid Slim releasing last week, they decided to release their well known Linear Ex line for the iPhone 5.

Everything but the kitchen sink
    Like Switch Easy, Spigen is known for giving you everything you need when using the case you bought. Included with the Linear Ex Slim is:
    • Two Piece Bumper
    • Steinheil Ultra Crystal LCD Film
    • Steinheil Clear Back Protector
    • Micro-Fiber Fabric
    • Jelly Bean Home Button Stickers

First Impressions:
    When I first held it in my hands, it felt like a very solid piece. It definitely has a nice solid build to it even with it being plastic. It's not your average cheaply made plastic and you can tell they paid attention to detail. If you are not a fan on plastic bumpers, this might change your mind. I too was afraid that it would have a cheap feel to it, but upon installing it onto my phone, it had a nice feel to it.

How slim is it?
    Hands down it's a very slim bumper. Please refer to the pictures below.
    #1: As you can see, the case on the right is actually the Ultra Thin case. The bumper is on par with the Ultra Thin itself as far as how slim it is.

#2: Here's a comparison shot with the Switch Easy two tone case. Known for being an great case as well as it's slim form factor, the Linear Ex slim is also has the same slim factor.

Will it scratch the sides?
    The inside has no padding what's so ever, however, don't let that discourage you. I took the risk and took the bumper on and off multiple times and inspected my sides and found it didn't leave any signs of wear. After using it for the whole day yesterday, my bezel and side is the same condition it was when I got my phone.

Tactile buttons:
    The buttons are very responsive and you clear that satisfying *click* noise when pressing the volume and sleep/wake button. How because the button covers are a part of the phone, if you do shake your phone, you will hear a slight rattle. It isn't a huge noise but you can hear a faint rattle.

Overall:
    I love it. For me, it's the perfect bumper. You have the slim form factor, the lip on the front AND back so that you can lay it on a table.
    [NOTE] I do have the GlastR and with it, I can still place my phone screen side down and still have it not touch the screen.
    and you have the tactile buttons.
    I'm currently using the Senn IE8 and the headphone jack has the L shape and it fits perfectly. I have tried the cable for Beats by Dr Dre + Apple Headphones and they both fit as well. Depending on your headphone, however, it might not fit. Please refer to my pictures to get a sense of what the headphone jack outline looks like.
    The case is a nice tight fit and it feels great in the hands. I have had no issues with it slipping out of my hand or of any kind.

Hope this sheds some light on those curious on this bumper. My next review will be on the Neo Hybrid Slim + Slim Armor

Attached Files:

2. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Couple more pictures.

Attached Files:

3. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Great review! What are the chances of the bumper pieces becoming unlatched?

4. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

From my own experiences that question is best answered after at least a couple of weeks of using the case every day, taking it in and out of pockets, etc. Every Neo Hybrid case I had start out nice and tight but would up slipping off after time.

5. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Great review and great pics
    Nice to see it's slightly slimmer than the Tones which was already slim

Thanks for sharing

6. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, as mentioned above I will need to use this bumper longer to get a accurate answer but it's a tight fit so I find it hard to believe it will be snapping off anytime soon. You actually need to give it a bit of pressure for it to click together.

7. jammerz macrumors regular

I wonder will this fit with side skins?

I'm scared to buy bc I don't think my skullcandys will work with this case either...

8. jammerz macrumors regular

I just picked this up and I can confirm that the case does fit (very tightly) with side skins (I have ghost armor on).

I can also confirm that skull candy fix in ear headphones work with this case as well!

Search is over!

9. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I bought the silver version for the white iPhone and it looked & felt cheap, bulky and awful. Sent it straight back. I will stick with my white 3rd party linear ex. Looks better and is actually slimmer than the sgp version

10. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Which 3rd party case are you referring to?

11. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363819228.927803.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363819248.408937.jpg

12. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

13. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Frankly, I'd prefer a white elago S5 Bumper over that case.
    [​IMG]

14. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Nice call on the bumper. I might have to get one for that price. I don't like how that "3rd party case" looks on the bottom left where the two pieces meet. Looks like it doesn't fit properly.

15. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I bought it from Amazon when the iPhone 5 was, but they are not for sale anymore.

I bought quite a few spares though as I really liked the case. PM me if you wanted one.

16. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I would have wanted one in Black, you must have got them all in white though.

Thanks for the offer though;)

17. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I do have a spare black version! Will PM you to give more details.

18. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

That looks nice. How is it actually installed though? There seems to be some sort of snap-on mechanism near the bottom? Do you mind taking a picture?

19. ayzee, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013

ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I have uploaded some updated pics. As you can see there is a catch mechanism that holds the two parts of the case together securely. Its a really nice case as it keeps the phone looking sleek and slim, the thinnest iPhone 5 case I've seen. Along with white, I also have spare black, blue & yellow colours available. Please PM me if interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]