Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RHatton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
I haven't seen a proper review for this case yet on the forums so I thought I might as well take some of my spare time and hit you all with some knowledge.

Incase Convertible Book Jacket
Price: $59.95
Summary:
I purchased this case about 2 weeks ago at the Apple store. I have used Incase products in the past with very good luck on my Macbook and iPod Touch.

First off, the case is made of very good quality leather. It holds up well and is thick enough to provide padding on your iPad in case of an accident. There is an elastic strap that holds the case closed while carrying. The speaker, dock port, volume adjustment, screen rotation lock and sleep button are all exposed for easy accessibility.

The case is a little over an inch thick so it doesn't add much heft to the already extremely thin iPad. Here are some shots of the side profile.

When opened it exposes an inside flap of the portfolio case with 3 notches etched into the leather. I will get to these in a minute but I would first like to point out the view-ability of the entire iPad screen. I have seen other cases with not as great of a fit around the display such as the Marware Eco-Vue.

Moving on, the three notches on the inside of the front flap allow the iPad to stand in 3 different positions for view-ability. It can lay down so you can read the USA Today, or elevate almost vertically so you can watch a movie.

The front flap will also fold behind the iPad, exposing it and elevating it to a comfortable angle for typing.

Conclusion

Pros This case fits the iPad like a glove and maintains a very professional appearance. It offers numerous stances to use the functionality of the device.

Cons When the iPad is elevated on one of the 3 convertible notches, it has a tendency to shift slightly inside the case. This doesn't affect the viewing of the device however, it is rather annoying. Also the home button is not perfectly flush with the case. This is rather annoying but by no means does it deter me from loving this case.

If there are ANY questions about the case or the experience with it thus far please feel free to ask. Thanks!

-Ryan

cy88

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
I bought one of these and returned it the next day due to the thickness it added.

It definitely doubled the thickness of iPad, which is quite significant. Amazing built, very usable tilt. However, it turned it into a netbook size.

It might not look thick in picture but it feels very thick in hand. Few people at the store returned it for the same reason.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Your reason for returning it is my reason for loving it!
I have young kids who love my ipad and I don't mind them having a shot as long as it's in the case.
I looked at the apple case and this one and so glad I bought it. If I'm sitting by myself I'll take it out the case but when the kids are about I my ipads alot safer with this on!!

cy88

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Your reason for returning it is my reason for loving it!
I have young kids who love my ipad and I don't mind them having a shot as long as it's in the case.
I looked at the apple case and this one and so glad I bought it. If I'm sitting by myself I'll take it out the case but when the kids are about I my ipads alot safer with this on!!

I can definitely see where you are coming from! The case is quite well built, and adds a really nice padding to it. I bought both apple and incase, decided to go with the apple one until I come across a better case for my liking.

One of the "feature" of iPad that's appealing to me is the portability. This case adds too much weight and thickness to the iPad, for me anyways.

It's one of those cases where you'll either love or hate :)

RHatton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
I actually originally bought the incase slipcase and was rocking the thing naked but I decided that was a little too dangerous considering I was commuting to school with it everyday to take notes. The build quality is definitely more on par in terms of what I would've expected from the apple case.

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
$60 Bucks -
Makes the Ipad an IMatress
Annoying elastic band
= Return'd Mine Same Day.

Pro's -

It smells better than the apple case for those who like to scratch and sniff.

RHatton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
$60 Bucks -
Makes the Ipad an IMatress
Annoying elastic band
= Return'd Mine Same Day.

Pro's -

It smells better than the apple case for those who like to scratch and sniff.

The elastic band keeps the thing closed unlike the apple case. iMatress? Really? I measured it and it's just over an inch. Still significantly small than my MacBook and elevates. I used the thing naked and it hurt my neck hovering over it for more than 20 minutes so the angle from the case helps dramatically.

SebZen

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
I really liked it but ended up returning it because the last notch wouldn't hold the ipad at an angle, it would slide down after a minute, and that was the best position. I read here that others experience it as well. Do you have this problem?

I also use my iPad verically a lot, and it's not very convenient with this case as there's an angle formed

RHatton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
In my cons section I mentioned that it has a tendency to shift slightly in the case when it is angled on the third notch the front flap. So far that is the only issue I have had with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.