Review/Install: iMOS 3D Corning Glass

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by boba7523, Apr 18, 2015.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

Here you guys go, installed 2 of these already and figured I'd share my experience with everyone.

Quality is superb, you get what you pay for. Installation may not be the easiest but I was able to learn from installing my girlfriends' phone first. Glass is nice and smooth and actually curved on the edges. This is the holy grail for me.....

Apple case friendly btw (tested it when we went to the Apple store).

Purchased it at: www.goprotect.net

Here's the installation process:

Setting up for installation...standard micro fiber cloth, alcohol pad, and dust removal stickers.
    [​IMG]

Cleaning with alcohol pad, use a compressed air can to get rid of the dust and lint afterwards. (use the dust removal stickers if necessary but save one for the next step)
    [​IMG]

*VERY IMPORTANT* make sure to use a dust removal sticker here to peel off the film protecting the backside of this portion. Saw this in their installation video, using your nails may mess up the adhesive backing.
    [​IMG]

Line up the ear piece then the home button. Then gently lay it down on the phone. Do not press down on the colored edges yet, since there is an adhesive backing. I made this mistake on my gf phone and the bubbles were much more difficult to push out.
    [​IMG]

Start by gently pushing the middle of the screen with your finger and swipe left to right about an inch until you see the air slowly edging out. Do not worry if not all of the air bubbles comes out yet, just get the majority out first. This step was relatively easier when I installed on my own phone.
    [​IMG]

Halfway done!:)
    [​IMG]

Close up of the bubbles, just slowly squeeze them out toward the sides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll eventually be stuck with some bubbles your fingers cannot fix. Now comes the fun part, find a ballpoint pen with a nice smooth and round end cap. (I used a sharpie). Start by just circling over the air bubbles, not much force is required but you'll eventually see them just disappear. If you run in to some stubborn ones apply a little more force and try pushing them in different directions if the circling technique doesn't work.
    [​IMG]

Finished! :D:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Thanks so much! This is just in time for me--I'll be installing an Imos tomorrow!!

3. 6thDAY, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

6thDAY macrumors 6502a

I'm really contemplating getting this. The seller is in LA and I'm in SD, so it's really only a day to get there.

However, I don't want to mess up installing it.

2 questions:

1. How hard did you press with the sharpie? I know it's 9H hardness, but I'm still worried it may scratch since you're focusing on a specific area on the glass.

2. Do you have any other cases besides the Apple leather that it's compatible with?

3. Also, maybe the image is playing tricks on me but I see some gap between the protector and plastic trimming along the edge, exposing the actual glass of the phone.

Attached Files:

4. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

to the guy above me, there is about 3 hairs worth of glass that is not covered from the plastic trim to the glass protector, you'll be alright buddy.

5. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

Those pictures truly reflect the high quality of the IMOS protector. It's a shame I can't justify spending 60 bucks on a screen protector :confused:

What type of cases can you use when its applied?

6. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

anything except speck.

7. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Looks like an awesome product. Might be the best screen protector I've seen thus far. The price is insane though. Maybe for the next iPhone purchase.

8. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Great review and instructions. Looks like an awesome full screen protector. Will it work with any cases?

9. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

1. You'll know how hard to press when you eventually see the air bubbles move around. Just make sure the edges of the tool you're using are round and you should be good.

2. I believe their is a list on the iMOS website with cases they've confirmed that are compatible and ones that they haven't tested yet. The Apple case wasn't tested but I've confirmed that it does.. (maybe I should let them know lol)

3. I see what you're saying but it's hardly a gap to be honest... This is pretty much as good as it gets on screen protection coverage.

Good luck on your install, let me know if you have any other questions!

10. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

That's a great looking screen protector but looks super thick. Maybe just me, but I much prefer the thinner, hardly there screen protectors.

11. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

Well i just spent a big whoop on this protector, I hope it's what I expected.

I just wished I hadn't spent money on 2 other worthless glass protectors beforehand.

@boba:

I also ordered from the same place.

When did you order it and how long did it take to arrive?

12. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Seems fine to me so far at 0.55mm.. Sensitivity hasn't decreased at all. In my opinion thicker would probably benefit the screen some more protection in case of a drop. Just my 2 cents though, to each their own :cool:

13. Connect2U macrumors member

Connect2U

For the convenience to all imos users,

You can refer to our facebook Notes to the updated list of the compatibility list.

All the cases listed are tested by our team as well as our customers.

Feel free to refer and we greatly appreciate if any users can share with us which case they are using and if it's compatible so we can continue to update the list.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/conn...ning-glass-screen-protector-f/801060346598372

Cheers..

14. dnoph macrumors member

great instructions!

After looking at your post, I feel like I should pull off my screen protector to install a new one

15. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

Placed an order last week on Wednesday, and they finally go around to actually shipping it yesterday, even though they made a label for it Friday.

They said they were waiting for the rings to arrive, and will include it for the inconvenience.

I wished they could have let me know. I had to send a couple of emails, and they take forever to reply back.

I'm disappointed in this company.

16. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... Sorry to hear that.. :( they were pretty good on response time for me.. maybe you caught them at a bad time?

17. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

They took 4 days to answer back. And they didn't even include the home ring!

"Unfortunately", I had to order another iMOS from them, only because it takes 2-3 weeks from international sellers. It should be coming today. I wrote them a lengthy disappointing email immediately following my 2nd order, and they shipped it the same day, go figure :/ Now let's see if they actually include the home ring, or they don't have it yet

I had to order another one because I think I must have lifted the edges on the sides about a dozen to push the bubbles out, and I removed all but 2 on the top right corner, which I tried hours to remove but no luck, and I really can't stand bubbles or dust on my screen.

This constant lifting ending up with some dust underneath.

Before installation I read your method of not pushing down on the top and bottom first and push the bubbles out, but that didn't work, so I had to constantly lift the edges.

I have a question in regards to that:

Did you just put the protector on once, and push the bubbles out with a sharpie, or did you also have to constantly lift the sides as you pushed the bubbles out?

18. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

I've installed two Imos screen protectors, both 6+, and my experience with getting bubbles out with the Imos is that you just have to keep on rubbing it with a pen cap or your fingernail until they finally disappear. Lifting up can help a little, but all it does is kind of reset the screen protector, perhaps removing some of the stubborn bubbles that you couldn't get out, but then adding a few more in a different spot. Overall, it just seems to take elbow grease and constant pen cap or fingernail rubbing of at least an hour. My fingers hurt afterwards. I really like the Imos, though, despite the fact that it is thicker than the Cinder and has less nicely curved edges. I feel like it provides very good protection for my iPhone.

Kristin

19. pchan0 macrumors regular

pchan0

Where did you order yours? goprotect.net? Do they ship international?

edit: I found imos on ebay that ships to Canada!

20. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Im not sure but you could try emailing them!

Email is on the contact page

21. Connect2U macrumors member

Connect2U

Care to give us the link for the eBay seller? We can help to check with imos if they are one of the authorised reseller.