Review: iOttie's 7.5W iON Wireless Chargers Feature a Simple, Attractive Design

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

There are hundreds of Qi wireless charging options available on the market, many of which feature the same no-frills plain black circle or square design. You can, for example, find dozens of inexpensive wireless chargers on Amazon at prices as low as $10, but if you're looking for a more thoughtful, unique design you may need to spend a bit more.

I've been taking a look at some of the wireless charging options that stand out from the crowd, and over the last few weeks, I've been testing iOttie's 7.5W iON Wireless Fast Charging Pad Plus and 7.5W iON Wireless Fast Charging Pad Mini.

[​IMG]
    iON Mini in gray on left, iON Plus in beige on right​

Both the iON and the iON Mini are rectangle-shaped wireless chargers that are about as wide as the iPhone X. The Mini is about an inch shorter than the standard iON, and it's also thinner because the iON has an extra cutout in the middle that's meant to allow for better airflow.

[​IMG]

Neither charger takes up too much space on a desk given the rectangular shape that can fit easily against a flat surface or in a corner, but the larger iON does take up more area, both horizontally and vertically.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: iOttie's 7.5W iON Wireless Chargers Feature a Simple, Attractive Design

2. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Actually, not shabby at all. I prefer the looks of the mini, but it seems the experience is better with the fullsize.

3. calstanford macrumors regular

Is this an ad?
    Cuz those charging plates are 3x as thick as basically anything else you can buy for no reason

4. bmunge macrumors 6502

Do these have batteries in them to operate wirelessly? I don’t get why they are so thick and look like a wallet... you can get much more attractive options for cheaper.

5. kwilzz_ macrumors member

I really want to know what phone case that is. I like it! And iOttie makes some pretty cool products!

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I like the look and was thinking how lovely these chargers would be on a trip... and then realised they don't have batteries in them. If they did, I'd be very interested!

Looks like a standard Apple case in "Ultra Violet".

[​IMG]

7. Smigit macrumors regular

Got the Mini about 2 or 3 weeks ago and really like it. My first qi charger and I was looking for 7.5w and USB-C. I was also looking at the latest Anker and RavPower stand ones but I'm in Australia and those other options either didn't ship here (the Anker) or were considerably more expensive due to the inclusion of the AC adapter, which is a pro for some but not something I needed or wanted as we use different power pins to the US.

On Amazon the black mini ion was $10 less than the other minis and about $20USD lower than those other models I was looking at. Wasn't as sold on the non mini, bit too big looking to me.

Anyway looks nice and so far it's worked well.

8. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

For some reason I just assumed these had a battery in them until I started reading the comments. Why are they so freaking thick? There is nothing useful about these at all. The design isn't even that good and they're expensive. If you're going to make them this thick at least put a battery or speaker in there! I can't believe that they are basically saying "We didn't want to hire a thermal engineer, so we just shoved some coils into a fat enclosure wrapped in cloth and called it design." But can that be true? What I don't understand is that this is coming from iOttie, and I have their really nice iPhone mount that has wireless charging and it works great! It's one of my favorite things from the past year. What is the deal guys? And FYI, a lot of the negative reviews are from people who don't read the directions. You're supposed to adjust the height to match your phone's charging sweet spot so it starts charging every time you pop it in. Make the adjustment once or twice per year and it's good to go.

Just get an Anker charging pad for $20 on Amazon and be done with it. The thing is about a quarter inch thin and black, supports faster charging, works fine with cases, isn't really fussy about positioning (within reason, I get it 95% of the time when laying it down, wish the pad was a bit bigger but it's fine), and the ugly blue lights in the photo only slowly pulse a few times to indicate it has connected to the phone and then they go away quickly. https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Qi-Certified-PowerPort-Fast-Charging/dp/B01KJL4XNY/

9. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

You should mark this ad as what it is, an ad, so people know its not a proper test or something.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Just curious how this has been working out for you. Debating picking one up for my XS.