Review: Logitech's CRAFT Wireless Keyboard is Pricey, but the Input Dial Is a Useful Addition

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

After buying this mouse and having it constantly disconnect I'm done with Logitech, or should I say "Logi".

I also wish they'd get away from these awful round buttons. The best Logitech keyboard for Mac was the DiNovo Edge for Mac, which is apparently a collectors item now since it used to be $100.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The most useful addition on the CRAFT keyboard is the regular arrow buttons.

4. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

I considered the Craft when my last keyboard died recently but couldn't justify the $199 cost. I like the idea of the dial but it's not worth the premium. I have a Surface Dial and it rarely makes tasks easier.

5. sesnir macrumors 6502

The option/cmd keys are weirdly labeled. In Windows, the CMD key acts as the Windows key. Alt/Option is Alt in Windows.

On this keyboard, they've paired Alt/Option with Start, and Cmd with Windows Alt.

6. Leguna24 Suspended

Leguna24

Looks nice and I like Logitech (have used both the illuminated wired and wireless keyboards with my PC in the past), but the hefty price tag is a turn off and I’m not sure how much use the dial would get, ultimately.

7. Parystec macrumors member

Parystec

8. morcutt11 macrumors 6502

morcutt11

I don't know - I have had good luck with Logitech's wireless mice before, but other Logitech stuff I've had has seemed pricey and buggy - or, if not buggy, then just not as well thought-out as it could be. Other than the mice it always seems like I pay for a premium product with Logitech but I get the performance/reliability of a sub-premium product. That doesn't seem like a good pairing with my Apple products.

9. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

Those keys look cheap and nasty. Logitech has lost it's premium quality (not price) ways a long time ago.

10. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I got this keyboard myself recently. I agree with the conclusion of the review. It feels great to type on, best representation of a chiclet style keyboard I've ever used. The battery life is poor though, I get 3 days usage out of mine before it starts saying low battery and the backlight won't come on anymore etc

The price is steep but if you're picky about keyboards and this is the style you like, it's great. The dial for me is not something I need but I was okay paying the extra money for it to get the keyboards typing experience which for me is flawless.

11. BrettArchibald macrumors member

BrettArchibald

As a fellow UK-keyboard user, I feel your pain regarding the slightly different key positions.
    I could live with the shortened Enter key, but one thing I just CANNOT get used to is the wildly different location of the ~ key. And given that cmd-~ is a macOS-native keyboard shortcut for switching between open windows in the same application, it's something I use all the time!
    I have a UK-keybord on my main computer, an iMac, but I have a MacBook Pro from the States, and having the ~ key waaaaaay up in the top-left corner is just nuts! Seriously, how do you Americans manage to switch between windows all day without cramping your hands up?! :confused:

12. harriska2 macrumors 6502

harriska2

OK, I have to ask - how do mac people remember the shortcut to print screen (either one). I have to google search or put a sticky on the screen to remember. The ipad, on the other hand, brilliant with the two buttons.

13. anson42 macrumors 6502

You mean SHIFT-CMD-3 and SHIFT-CMD-4 ? I use 4 the most because I rarely want to capture a full screen but when you use it enough, muscle memory takes over :)

14. BrettArchibald macrumors member

BrettArchibald

What you should really be doing is pressing Cmd-Shift-4, and then hitting your Spacebar...
    Then your cursor turns into a little camera icon, and you can click over any window (even those partially hidden behind others) to get a perfect screenshot of just that window, complete with transparency. :)

15. LunarFalcon macrumors member

My mind is blown. I never knew this. Thanks!!

16. Marx55 macrumors 68000

Why wireless? We are destroying planet Earth and nobody seems to care. Wireless charging is a waste of energy. Wired whatever is much better than wireless whenever possible for anything, including also keyboards and mice. Batteries are obnoxious to the environment, besides much less convenient and a pain to recharge routinely.

17. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I don't really get why this costs $199. I own some expensive mechanical boards that were all cheaper than this...but you are paying for the expensive cherry switches in that case. This seems to just be very similar to the K810 in terms of the actual keyboard, but with the addition of a knob. $99 seems like the right price for it.

I guess they think $99 for k810, $99 for a surface dial, so the two in one should be $200.

19. scottcampbell macrumors regular

I assign screenshot to F6

20. laurihoefs, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

I checked the nordic Logitech site, and it lists the keyboard available in several ISO-variants, including UK english. The US site only lists the ANSI layout though.

The UK site does not specify the layout, but I would assume its the UK english rather than the ANSI.

Edit
    List of available layouts from logitech.se:
    Craft layouts.png

21. nutritious macrumors 6502

I have this keyboard. The battery life is not great because of the backlighting, and I am not too fond of the switches. The knob hasn't proven very useful to me. I, admittedly, mainly bought the keyboard for its looks and wireless connectivity. It's not a bad keyboard, but it's certainly not worth the price.

22. strayts macrumors member

Adding Control to this puts the image in your clipboard for easy pasting! I use it ALL the time.

23. jettredmont macrumors 68030

Also, after Cmd-Shift-4, Space, hold control down while clicking and that image goes on the clipboard instead of to the 157th 'Screenshot *.png' file on your desktop. Same trick for the other screenshotting commands (typically I skip the space and draw out the rectangle I want, but with ctrl held down so I can paste the result in a message / slack / email / etc.

[Sorry, strayts; I swear your message right above wasn't there when I started typing this ... darned distracting work!]

(All of which really goes right to the original poster's point about print-screen functionality being super-hidden in macos, to the point that a lot of people think they need third-party utilities just to grab a snapshot of what is on screen).

24. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Holy s**t!! How have I not known about this after all these years on macOS.