Review: Lucky Labs Carbon Truskin

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by weisjt, May 29, 2011.

1. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

[​IMG]

Its time for another review, this one will be on the Lucky Labs Truskin carbon back for the iPhone 4. This isn't your standard 3m vinyl skin, this is a true carbon fiber plate. The Carbon plate comes with a protective film across it and has a reusable 3m adhesive on the back so you can interchange different backs when ever you want. From expeirence with other carbon cases I was curious to see if the Truskin would effect the signal strength at all and I will get into that later.
    [​IMG]
    PROTECTION
    The Lucky Labs Truskin is generally made for scratch protection. Carbon fiber is a very strong material and as I have experienced after dropping my phone the carbon plate will protect the back glass from a good sized drop. Paired with a good bumper the combo would be a great to keep your iPhone protected from the average mishap.
    [​IMG]
    DESIGN AND QUALITY
    The Quality is great on the Truskin, very smooth edges with precise cutouts for the camera and flash that do not cause any flash washout. The design of the Truskin back is very simple, it doesn't include the cutout for the apple logo which I kinda like. The Lucky Labs Logo is in the bottom right corner, it is small and doesn't effect the look of the carbon. The only problem that I had is that after some use it will start to show scratches a little bit.
    [​IMG]
    FUNCTIONALITY
    I just wanted to add that the thickness of the carbon back makes it a little difficult to use with cases. You will only be able to use it with bumper style cases and I even found it hard to use it with some of those. They work best with bumper cases that hug the outter edges of the iPhone like the aluminum bumpers(fusionwerkz, e13ctron, draco, apex armor). Paired with a Lucky Labs antenna wrap this would be a great minimal combo for protection and functionality.
    [​IMG]
    RECEPTION
    Last but not least the reception portion of my testing. I live in a low reception area so I am ranging between 1 and 2 bars of service, my decibal reading also bounce around do to low service signal so you could see anywhere from a 5 to 7 decibal drop in signal. In strong signal areas you may see less or more signal drop, these are just tests in my area. Even with my low reception area gps was able to lock on to exact location pretty quickly.

Cell Tower
    Naked 97db - 98db
    Installed 102db - 103db

Overall the Lucky Labs Carbon Truskin is a great new edition to their line of products. You can pick on up at Lucky Labs Website for 25 dollars and as of now they are on sale for $19.99. Other then the reception loss I expeireced it is a great looking skin. Lucky Labs has some of the best customer service departments in the industry and in my own opinion some of the best customer service I have experienced.
    Thanks Lucky Labs

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Thanks for this review. Mine should be arriving this week and I can't wait to see how they look in person!

3. weisjt thread starter macrumors 6502a

weisjt

4. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

5. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

How does this skin compare to the teksure carbon fiber skin? I know it's thicker but in terms of feel and look?

6. weisjt thread starter macrumors 6502a

weisjt

it isnt much thicker then texture skin, the truskin is glossy smooth finish with no texture while the texture skin has the weaved carbon feel but is vinyl. they both are nice and i would prefer the look of the truskin carbon.

7. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Thanks for the great review! I have a couple of questions though.

1. Do you think the logo would be able to be removed?

2. Do you have an Apple bumper you can put on and snap a quick picture for me?

Thanks!

8. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

9. weisjt thread starter macrumors 6502a

weisjt

My white carbon fiber is here! I like it![/QUOTE]

that is just the carbon fiber texture skin right? the review i did was on the truskin real carbon back. I
    like the white look anyway.

10. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

I own this and am totally happy with it. I like carbon fiber on anything lol.

11. Kenji458 macrumors member

Fibreglass

Here's my fibreglass Truskin.. prefer it over the carbon fibre version, just my personal preference :rolleyes:.

[​IMG]

12. weisjt thread starter macrumors 6502a

weisjt

Sorry I just saw your post I will shoot a pic tomorrow for you

13. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    how come yours got apple logo cut out ?
    i thought they don't make truskin with any cut out ?

14. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

It isn't cut out. The back logo on the iPhone is silver and that one is black. It is probably the logo stickers that Lucky Labs gives for their Spectra Wrap.

15. weisjt thread starter macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i was thinking the same thing

16. maniacphoner macrumors regular

17. marko009 macrumors newbie

I want to get a fiberglass tru skin, but i have some concerns about it..
    First: i have white iphone and i cant find any pictures of fiberglass skin attached to a white iphone so i dont know how it actually looks like. Does anybody have that combination to post some images and tell their impressions?
    Second: is it safe? Fiberglass is normally dangerous with its tiny particles, but i assume tru skin has some kind of coating?

18. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

so far the white looks best to me IMO. the fiberglass looks a little too busy for 'carbon'

19. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I'm going to ask this again, in hopes that someone can give me an honest reply without being snarky.

What's the deal with carbon fiber? Seriously. I don't get it.

20. Lost2342 macrumors newbie

Carbon fiber is just a high end material a lot of race cars and luxury sports cars have for its tough, yet light weight. I think guys like the look because it makes them feel cool :cool: lol i love it too btw. I just got the white carbon fiber for my phone. :)

21. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Wait a minute, I don't get how this backing causes signal degradation. I understand carbon fiber does block signals, but the iPhone antenna is around the perimeter.

So how would it block signal if it's on the back plate?

Did you have just the back skin on it or did you have a bumper case or wrap around your phone?

I wonder if the fiber glass one will have the same problems.