Review Macbook 12inch 2017 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Thaddeuz, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Thaddeuz, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

Thaddeuz macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I never owned a Macbook before. I want to buy the Macbook 12inch 2017 model.
    I dont want to watch the youtube reviews because 9 out of 10 times they get paid or get a free Macbook by leaving a positive review, and they dont cover everything.

I use a iPad 10,5 as my main device but its just horrible to use without a mouse.
    This is also my first tablet which I ever owned.

I always used Windows laptops. I always but always had issues with heat. Does the macbook 2017 model also overheat when you use it for a couple of hours? I am afraid because it has no fan nor space to let the air out. Its just completly sealed. I am afraid that the macbook will be useless after 1 year of usage.

My biggest problem is heat.
    I will mostly use it for browsing etc.

And how is the heat when playing a game? I know that it itsnt ment for gaming but I only play 1 game which doesnt ask for much hardware. I am curious if the laptop survives the heat.

The cheapest "Macbook 12inch 2017" costs 1500 euro's in my country.

Atm I am using a MSI laptop with the following specs:
    GPU: GTX 1060
    CPU: i7 - 6700HQ
    RAM: 16gb

Even this super thick overly cooled laptop with turbo cooling gets pretty warm during a simple gaming session which doesnt demand much power.

2. maerz001, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

maerz001 macrumors 6502

So what's your question? The temperature while playing an unmentioned game?
    Nobody can tell u. Buy and try and take it back in 14days for free.

But it won't be hotter than other apple laptops. They are usually quieter and use less energy than cheap windows machines.

The MB has just a 5W CPU that's why no fan is needed. Compared to 15/28/45W of the nTB/TB 13"/15".

As the MB can boost the CPU for a couple of minutes it won't be much slower than a MBP. But after that there will be throttling to keep temperature down. And than gaming won't be fun.

And yes the MB will work longer than 1year. There are still 2015models running;)

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Yes, my wife's rMB often overheats just using skype and she struggles to use it on her bare legs

4. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

. I find that the rMB 2017 is much cooler than my 2014 MBA. Slightly warmer than an Ipad, but really cool (and quite) compared with every other laptop I've used.